Thursday, August 13, 2009

Compliments

I can be a people pleaser. I have always struggled in this area and it is very difficult at times because you cannot please everyone all the time - especially if they have expectations on you that you have absolutely no idea you are supposed to live up to. I fight this every day. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone!

That's why I'm so excited about something I heard in a song today during my run. I was listening to Collective Soul's song "Compliment" and realized that we all sort of deal with it to some degree. The words to this song basically tell us that we all sit around and beg for compliments, feeling like we're dying unless we get them. But once we gather them up, we lose our innocence and begin to lie to ourselves if that is all we are living for. He ends up singing "there's something more than the world out there". How true.

We all like a good compliement every now and then - it's a wonderful feeling. When we get out of balance though, and begin to live for them (or die without them) we are lost and completely missing the point. We make others little gods in our lives, as we live to please them and strive for their acceptance. Plus, if we live to hear how great we are, we are missing the fact that the glory isn't ours anyway - it all belongs to the Lord. He is the One to be praised! What a joy though, when people see Him in us. I couldn't ask for a better compliment than that.

There is something More than the world out there. And He loves us so much that He gave His life for us. Now there's someone I want to please.

Compliment Lyrics:
Now, Ive taken the side
Of a beautiful calm
Can you see this disguise
Fading to a resolve

And there it goes, my innocence
While gathering up a compliment
And here I lie with words to swear
Theres something more than the world out there
The world out there

And hesitation compounds
Ive nothing left to sustain
My worries here have allowed
A momentary refrain

And there it goes, my innocence
I'm dying here for a compliment
And here I lie with words to swear
Theres something more than the world out there
The world out there

Proverbs 28:23 In the end, people appreciate honest criticism far more than flattery.

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org