Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Dark Cloud

Ever have one of those days when you feel that there is a dark cloud following you around? I mean, it's like a heaviness that keeps you almost paralyzed with fear or frustration and it can be quite overwhelming. Am I speaking your language?

These "cloudy" days come at such unexpected times - usually the most inopportune time, if you ask me. Yesterday was one of those days for me. I had this overwhelming feeling of dread, like there was a dark cloud following me around. All day I tried to figure it out, but was so busy getting things done to get the kids in school today that I couldn't really stop and try to figure it out. Last night, my husband and I took a long walk and we talked about it. He said "Just be still and rest tomorrow - slow down and just try to get alone, you will figure it out."

This morning, I decided it was time. So I prayed, opened my Bible and began my search for answers. I don't want another day like yesterday! I read my daily Bible reading and came across this verse in Psalm 105:39 "The Lord spread a cloud above them as a covering and gave them a great fire to light the darkness." He was talking about the Israelites during their Exodus out of Egypt. I like the thought that God "covered" them with this cloud - it almost seemed protective, not scary at all. I thought that was very interesting, so I decided to look up on Bible Gateway (http://www.biblegateway.com/) all the instances where the word "cloud" was mentioned.

The word cloud is mentioned 153 times in the Bible and the vast majority of those times, it was mentioned as describing God's presence. Interesting. When God's presence was in the form of a thick cloud at the Tabernacle, the Israelites camped out and didn't move. Once the cloud would lift, they would pack up camp and move on.

Numbers 9:20-22 says this: Sometimes the cloud was over the tabernacle only a few days; at the LORD's command they would encamp, and then at his command they would set out. Sometimes the cloud stayed only from evening till morning, and when it lifted in the morning, they set out. Whether by day or by night, whenever the cloud lifted, they set out. Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out.

The Israelites were commanded by God to be still when the cloud was present. This is not lost on me at all. I think my husband was absolutely right. God may be trying to get my attention with this heavy, dark cloud He has allowed to come over me. I need to camp out, slow down and seek Him with everything in me until the cloud lifts.

How cool is the Word of God to show me this today, of all days?! I mean, that just blows my mind on so many levels. I can't say the cloud has completely lifted as of yet, but I can certainly say with confidence that I have met with the Creator of the Universe in my dark, cloudy day and He has shown me great fire to light the darkness! When He blacked out the rest of the world, He slowed me down so I could focus on His promises and He has shown me Light in this darkness that I would not have seen had I not experienced it. If you have a cloud hovering over you today, seek Him. He is in the cloud and He is waiting to meet with you. The cloud could just be His blessed invitation to meet one on one with Him! What a privilege!

'For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. Ezekiel 34:11-12

2 comments:

Kate said...

I can't completely explain it, but this blog reminds me of Point of Grace's song "Blue Skies." I'll post the lyrics in case someone can "pick up what I'm puttin' down." Because I can't. Although, I have this feeling that this song and this blog can work together.

Verse 1
On days of gray
When doubt clouds my view
Its so hard to see past my fears
My strength seems to fade
And its all I can do
To hold on, till the light reappears.
Still, I believe though some rain's bound to fall
That you're here next to me
And you're over it all.

CHORUS
Lord, the sky's still blue
For my hope is in you
You're my joy, You're the dream thats still alive
Like the wind at my back
And the sun on my face
You are life,You're grace.
You are blue skies, You're my blue skies

Verse 2
When nights are long
Seems the dark has no end
Still we walk on in the light of the truth
For waiting beyond, where the morning begins
Is the dawn, and your mercy anew.
Oh, to believe we're alive in your love
There is so much to see, if we keep looking up.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your post when I searched for dark cloud Jesus. I didn't quite expect to find a bit of a confirmation in your post. A few years ago The Lord gave me a word, "Protective Cloud." Sometimes His cloud can be frustrating. But it is meant to protect us against our enemies... And yes ourselves. That phrase "Protective Cloud" led me to the book, Rules of the Red Sea." It showed me what you were Abel to capture in our post here.

Anyway, as I look ahead I see nothing. Zero. I have absolutely to comprehension of what the future holds. I really don't care for my station in life, but i am gratful that God has blessed me. So, it is disheartening to look ahead and see nothing.

I will take your advice and seek Him more.

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org