Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Facing Fear

I turned on my computer today and lo and behold I was confronted with doom and gloom yet again. Yahoo had a front page story about how the swine flu epidemic is going to get so much worse - infecting millions and potentially killing 90 thousand people in the US alone this fall. Geez. Could the news be any more grim?

I began to panic first. My kids are in school - should I homeschool so they are not exposed to this? Should I hunker down in my house with my family, protecting them from this evil virus? What if one of them gets sick - I don't think I can handle that! I began to allow my mind to "go there" and my heart raced, my breathing quickened and fear began to paralyze my mommy mind.

Then almost as quickly as the whirlwind of fear came upon me it was stilled when I began to meditate on scripture..."Do not fear"..."Take Courage"..."God does not give us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind"..."even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil"..."do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday"..."He (God) is the one who should make you tremble. He will keep you safe"...and the list goes on.

My point is this. I know how hard it is to trust God in times like these, especially for us moms who want so desperately to protect and shelter our children from the big, bad world. But instead of focusing on what I don't know (the future...the what if's), I want to focus instead on what I do know. I am a child of God. I'm not going anywhere and neither are my children or my loved ones, until God says so. He will give me courage when needed, strength to perservere and wisdom to make decisions. I cannot live my life being afraid of anything - including the future - for it will paralyze me and render me completely useless.

I'll admit - it seems the news gets worse and worse - not just diseases, but natural disasters, political wars, and rampant evil in the world. But we must be strong and courageous. We must remember that we cannot think the way we used to (Isaiah 8:11-13). Our lives are in His hands - and so are our children's lives.

God doesn't promise rosy times here on the earth. He actually reminds us quite frequently that times will be difficult. But we can go through each trial with the perspective that He has a plan, He is in control and He doesn't make mistakes. We must trust Him and let go. If we suffocate ourselves or our children out of fear, what are we teaching them? Do we really trust God in times like these?

It's time we learn the answer to that question in our lives. I urge you to fill your mind with TRUTH from God's Word and fight the temptation to fall into fear. I urge you to teach these truths to your children. We do not know the answers to all of life's tough questions or what the future holds - but we are the children of the One who does. That gives my mommy mind tremendous peace!

1 Peter 1:6-7
So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold - though you faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Great post Leslie! Max Lucado has a new book out called "Fearless" that I'm looking forward to reading. You can check it out and download the 1st chapter free at: http://www.maxlucado.com/fearless/

Again, great post! Thanks!

Leslie Nease said...

Rob that's awesome! I look forward to reading that - I absolutely love Max Lucado. :) Thank you for your encouragement. I appreicate it very much!

Leslie Nease said...

appreciate...haha (spelled it wrong the first time)

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org