Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2001


I often recall the feeling as I sat in my car
On that bright, sunny day in September
It’s a day that I wish that I could forget
But I’m sure I will always remember

I was in my car, with my baby in the back seat
As the morning radio DJ’s rehashed
They seemed confused and a little perplexed
About a plane in New York that had crashed

Was this some sort of accident? Was it a freak thing?
Or was it the pilot’s fatal error?
The DJs were bantering back and forth now
About the possibility of some sort of terror.

Instead of the place I was on my way to,
I decided to go on back home.
I wanted to know what was going on now
I needed to be all alone.

My television channels were all fixed in New York
Was this flight just simply botched?
Then I watched with great horror as another plane hit
While all of us helplessly watched.

I remember seeing it coming and thinking it was a dream
"How could this be happening?", I thought.
Then without a moment’s notice, the plane made impact
And then we knew that terror had been wrought.

I picked up the phone and called my best friend
We cried together and we both felt ill
When the first tower collapsed, then the second one did
We knew thousands of people had been killed.

I tried to make sense of such a senseless act
As I walked numbly through my day
I was praying for peace, I was praying for help
I was praying for it all to go away.

I was a woman who knew truth but never received it
I was not living the way that I should
This tragedy was a wake up call for me and for others
Out of this terror, God was showing some good.

As the days and weeks passed after the tragedy of that day
There was a feeling of “In God We Trust”
There was patriotism like my eyes have never seen!
And a cry against all that was unjust.

We all bonded together as we provided for the families
Of those who were lost on that day.
There were bumper stickers, flags flying and people were bolder
As our nation began to earnestly pray.

But now it’s years later and we have really lost sight
Of the lesson we learned on 9/11
I hope that He doesn’t turn His back on us now
As we forget all of our blessings from heaven

So today as I remember that Morning in September
Eight years ago, today
I will fly my flag proudly, I will pray to our God
And I will ask Him humbly to stay.

If My people, who are called by my name
Would humble themselves and pray
And seek my face
And turn from their wicked ways
Then will I hear from heaven
And will forgive their sins
And will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14

Leslie Nease

2 comments:

Cyndie said...

Leslie,

Beautiful post. I wanted to say thank you for the wonderful truth that you spoke today to the women at Matthews UMC. I know you impacted many lives by being "who you are" today for Christ. I have always loved your transparency and boldness and I appreciate you sharing yourself with us today. God was very glorified through you today. Praise Him!

Leslie Nease said...

Cyndie, thank you so much - you are precious. I enjoyed every moment at your sweet church. It was truly my pleasure. Many blessings to you!!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org