Monday, October 5, 2009

Groundhog Day


Did you ever see the movie "Groundhog Day"?  You know, the movie where the guy (Bill Murray) wakes up every day and lives the exact same day over and over again?  It's been years since I've seen it but I remember thinking how freaky that would be if it ever really did happen.  Well, guess what.  I'm living that movie lately!

Ever since Peyton got the flu last Thursday, it's kinda been like that around here.  Wake up.  Check her temp.  Give her medicine.  Give her fluids.  Watch kid movies and reruns of Suite Life on Deck or True Jackson.  Make soup.  Feed soup.  Change sheets.  Check Temp.  Give meds.  Play Battleship.  Win and feel guilty about it because a mom should let her sick kid win.  (I know - shame on me!) Say prayers. Go to bed.  Then we wake up and it's the same thing all over again. 

It's times like this that we, as humans, tend to get in a rut.  As monotonous as I feel it has been, I feel for little Peyton even more.  At least I'm not confined in one room.  I've got the whole house to run around in - she's stuck up in the playroom and unless it's me, she's all alone.  It's like she's completely alienated from her life.  It is heart breaking to watch!  Yesterday she said "Mommy I'm bored.  Is that a symptom of the flu?" hahaha

It's easy to cave into the "poor me" syndrome at times like this.  It's the monotony of every day life when our faith is really tested.  Can we handle the pressure of having no pressure?  Can we handle the stress of having no appointments? Can we do the monotonous and do it with excellence?  Can we do the tedious and do it with joy? 

I have a feeling that there are a lot of moms in my boat right now.  As prevalent as the flu and other bugs are this year, the "Mom Brigade" is out in full force!  And it can be a little monotonous.  It can be a little tedious.  It can sometimes feel a little like "Groundhog Day". 

But it can also be a glorious, amazing time of reflection and re-prioritizing, too!  I've been blown away by the perspective these past few days have given me.  It's a great reminder of what matters most to me in life.  It's also a huge reminder that the greatest impact I can have in this life is on the little people God has given to my husband and me to raise and love - our children.

Psalm 127:3 Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org