Friday, October 2, 2009

The Mommy Zone

"Your daughter tested positive for the flu."  Those are the words I've been terrified of hearing for the past few months as the flu has swept across our state and yet I sat there this morning completely dumbfounded (that in itself is noteworthy, but I digress...) as those words came from the Doctor's mouth. 


Yesterday, Peyton was completely fine.  Then her throat started to hurt so we got ice cream after school.  Yeah, that's usually what does the trick!  Then we went to Wal Mart and as we looked around, I noticed she was looking a little "puny".  I brought her home and took her temperature and it was around 99.8.  It slowly crept up to about 100.6 and she was feeling pretty icky at this point.  She said everything hurt, especially her throat and head.  I gave her some night time cold medicine and some advil and she slept through the night.  She woke this morning feeling about the same, so I immediately took her into the doctor for a flu test. 

I honestly thought I was over-reacting, but I also knew that if I didn't over-react, she could miss the window to take Tami-flu if it was indeed the flu. If you catch it in the first 48 hours, your chances of getting the Tami-flu and it actually helping are much greater.  Within 15 minutes, we had our answer - it was indeed the flu.  By the time she got home, her temperature was 102.2 and she was miserable.  We prayed the drug store would have the Tami-flu (I'd heard that there was a shortage around here - if that gives you any indication of how severe this flu is) and our prayers were quickly answered as the first drug store I called had it available.  Thank the Lord!  She's already had a dose of it.

I'm not sure what the next few days hold, but one thing I know is that this is the time when my "Momminess" goes into full gear.  I call it the Mommy Zone.  I'm always amazed at the grace God gives me during times like this.  I become like super mom or something - with all the energy, determination and fight of a Navy Seal!  When our kids are down, somehow God equips a Mom to be up!  Interestingly, all the dread I've had about this flu infecting one of my children is gone - I'm completely trusting the Lord.  Of course, it helped a lot when Peyton said this morning "Mommy, my body hurts, but I know God is going to do something good out of all this so I'm ok."  Oh, how wonderful to be reminded of God's sovereignty at a time when a mom is tempted to go off the deep end of worry!  Thank you, Lord, for equipping Peyton to keep me straight this morning!

I also have to say, and I'm not quite sure how to say this without it sounding weird, but I find a strange sort of joy in snuggling with my kids when they are sick.  It's so special.  They are so full of trust and love and appreciation when they are down.  I was snuggling with Peyton this morning and she said "Mommy, are you gonna get sick since you're hugging me?"  I told her not to worry about it, I would be ok even if I did, but I wasn't going anywhere - nothing at all would keep me from being there for her today!  She smiled and looked up at me and said "Thank you, Mommy.  Thank you for taking a risk to love me."  Tears filled my eyes as I held her even closer after she said this.  Man, this is what it's all about.

Do you think this is why God allows us to go through the tough times?  When else do we slow down enough to allow Him to snuggle with us, love on us and comfort us?  When else do we feel so trusting and full of appreciation for Him?  When else do we feel so vulnerable and still?  I can't think of too many situations in my life when I trust my Father in Heaven the way my baby girl has been trusting me today.  I think God gives us our kids to teach us a thing or two about His deep, abiding love for us.  What a precious and thoughtful gift!  Nothing can separate us from His love for us....nothing.

Romans 8:38-39  And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love.  Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow - not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love.  No power in the sky above or in the earth below - indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Jesus Christ our Lord.

2 comments:

sunshinemama said...

I love this! My son got the flu in February and it was a time when I was growing very much in my relationship with the Lord. It was the sickest he has been but somehow I had joy in it and trusted the Lord so much! Then my other child got it...it was my worst fear until we got it at our house then it was full on trusting in the Lord and letting Him draw us close to Him! Love your story, I can very much relate. How is she feeling now...did it last long? We did not get Tamiflu...

Leslie Nease said...

She is feeling much better! I think the only reason my family was able to get the Tamiflu was because we have two people in our immediate family with autoimmune diseases plus one with asthma :( and the doctors wanted to be safe. It didn't last very long for Peyton but it lasted awhile for me - about two weeks or so. She was better in about 5 days - kids are so resilient! Glad your family is getting better!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org