Thursday, December 10, 2009

Good Morning!

"My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds "Lord, I am coming." -Psalms 27:8 (NLT)


As I read this verse this morning, my heart just skipped a beat. It's true - every morning these are the words I hear from God in my heart - "Leslie, I'm here - come talk with me"- and those words get me out of bed more often than not these days. I find my days go much smoother and I am a lot more at peace when I begin my days looking at God's face before anyone else's. That was a quote by Charles Spurgeon that I read in The Little Red Book of Wisdom - "We should first seek to see the face of God each day before seeing the face of any man". I love that.

So, how in the world do I explain those days when I roll over and push the snooze button every 9 minutes until I realize I've missed out on my time with God? What's that about? I have so much to look forward to - reading His word, praying, giving Him my burdens, and yet I choose to sleep through it sometimes. Oh, I pay for it dearly (as does my poor family, I might add!). But inevitably, there comes a day more often than I care to admit, that I do the exact opposite of what my heart really wants to do.

I'm so glad God is gracious and loving and forgiving. And that He doesn't base His love for me on my works, but by His mercy. I would be in big trouble were it not for His unconditional love.

A wise woman once said to me, "Leslie, if you are having a hard time waking up for your quiet times with the Lord, think of Him sitting on your couch, looking at His watch, eagerly waiting for you to come out and spend some time with Him. Maybe He's petting your dog. Maybe He's eagerly tapping His foot in anticipation! Whatever He's doing, He's doing it because He just can't stand to be away from you for one more minute."

I love that. It doesn't make me feel guilty or obligated at all - it makes me feel loved and that the God of the Universe is expecting a visit from me and He has much to share with me and it can't wait! And it's true - He waits for me. And He waits for you!

I've never in my life heard anyone say "Gee, I wish I hadn't gotten up so early each day to spend time with God - what a waste of time." Nope. And I never will. I promise you, if you are having a hard time getting up early to spend time with your Father in Heaven, He will give you the grace you need to get up (even if you're not a morning person!) and not only will you get a fresh, new word from Him each day, but you will find that you are more aware of Him in every day life. He will fill your life with His presence.

Getting up early and spending time with God is like getting dressed for the day. Who would go out into battle without getting dressed in their armor first? Spending time with God first each day ensures we are ready for whatever life brings.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Thank you, God through Leslie, for this reminder... I needed it right now! I not only need to get dressed with my full armor of God, but also remember to clothe myself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. (Colossians 3:12) through regular "first thing in the morning" quiet time with my Lord~ something I haven't been consistently doing. AGAIN, Thanks for this post and reminder.

Have a Joyous Jesus Celebration...
today and everyday!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org