Wednesday, January 20, 2010

He Waits to be Wanted

He waits to be wanted.  I read this quote yesterday morning from AW Tozer and it hurt my heart deeply.  God is so patient with us.  So faithful.  So loving.  So kind.  And yet we get so busy...so distracted...so prideful and self-absorbed that we can't see that He waits for us. Why would He love us so much that He would wait for us to want Him?

He waits to be wanted.  Why should He have to wait to be wanted?  Why don't we want Him?  What is it that we want instead of Him?  Those are the questions that keep coming to me and I don't have any good answers.  He offers peace, forgiveness, joy, goodness, faithfulness, self-control, love, gentleness and patience.  The world offers lies, hurts, unfulfilled promises, hypocrisy, hate and heartache.  It seems like there would be no competition!  And yet...we seem to chase all those "things" with reckless abandon.  All the while....


He waits to be wanted.  Would I do that?  Usually when someone rejects me, I shake the dust off my feet and move on.  I don't wait to be wanted.  Their loss, in my book.  If they don't want to be my friend, I usually just write them off.  But Jesus knows we are just being foolish when we reject Him, He knows what is best for us so He pursues us.  His identity is not wrapped up in whether we accept Him or not - He just loves us so much that He waits for us to come to our senses.  So why does He pursue us?  Because He knows without His intervention, we will face judgment and He does not want us to have to face that.  He loves us too much.

God must judge sin because He is Holy...perfect...and good.  Sin goes completely against God's holiness.  He must judge sin because He is good and it is in His character to be just and right- not because He is mean or unloving.  Oh, but He offers us an opportunity to receive grace instead - through Christ's sacrifice.  Can you understand this?  I want you to really get this...the God of the Universe loves you.  He wants a relationship with you and He waits to be wanted.  Not so He can be validated - He does not need our validation.  He waits to be wanted because He loves us and He knows that if we reject Him, we will face judgment.  He doesn't want that for any of us.  Period. (2 Peter 3:9; 3:15)

My pride is what kept me from God for so long.  I'll be honest - I didn't like having someone tell me I was a sinner.  Who were they to tell me I was a sinner?  Geez.  The nerve!  I did good things all the time.  I was a loving, caring person.  But I also did bad things.  And even one bad thing is enough to separate me from a Holy God.  So in order to be able to restore that relationship, I had to turn from my sin to my Savior, who accepted me with open arms.  It's called "repentance" in the Bible and that word gets a bad rap, honestly.

Repentance is a gift, not a curse.  It's not just saying "I'm sorry" but saying "I'm through!" and then turning away from sin toward Christ, trusting Him to give you strength to stay turned away from that sin. Oh, I admit it was not easy.  I liked my sinfulness.  I wondered if I could live a life without some of the things I enjoyed so much.  As a matter of fact, I still struggle with sin.  I mess up all the time...but I try to learn from my sins and I seek His forgiveness and grace with each one, admitting when I fail.  I allow Him to use those mistakes and grow me into a better person.  He gave me a new life when I accepted Him.  He has given me new desires and a longing to be more like Him.  I could never do this without Jesus.

He waits to be wanted.  Is He still waiting for you?

Some scripture references that might be helpful to you if you want to hear what the Bible says about the Jesus who waits so patiently and lovingly for you:

Romans 3:10-31
Galatians 3:19-24
John 3:1-21

Need more info?  Please call 1-888-NEED HIM or visit www.needhim.org

1 comment:

Ryan and Heather Murphy said...

Thanks for these reflections. I used them to create a chapel message for our school and faculty (about 600 people) for tomorrow. Praying for a great desire for Him in my life...and in our community. Blessings!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org