Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Manna

I wrote this poem a while ago but it came to mind this morning as I read in Exodus about the Israelites journey to the Promised Land.  I always love being reminded of God's provision of manna, bread from heaven, so they would not starve on their journey.  He provides for us, too...

Starving and delirious, 
they begged God for some food
Discouraged and exhausted, 
one by one they came unglued

But God, He heard their cries for help
His heart was stirred that day
So He sent some flakes from heaven
that He scattered on their way

No one knew what the flakes were
that fell from the morning sky
So they called it “Manna” on that day 
God’s miraculous supply

Then God spoke to Moses 
and He told Him what to do
“Each person should collect their share –
about a quart or two”

They all collected just enough; 
they had their fill each one
They were nourished and were satisfied
another miracle had begun

So early every morning, 
 manna would descend from the sky
The Israelites woke early
to collect each day’s supply

They had to grind it first, 
to make it fine enough to eat
Using pottery and grinding tools
it took hours to complete

And thinking back to manna,
I can’t help but to compare
The bread that fell from heaven then
today we still can share

It’s not a flaky substance,
but it’s nourishing and sweet
I collect my share each morning
when with my Father I do meet

I don’t grind it with a grinding stone;
no I grind it in my heart
As I meditate on the words of life
God will lovingly impart

We’re starving and delirious
without His precious food
So God supplies abundantly
so we don’t come unglued.

Leslie Nease

John 6:32-35 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."  "Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread."Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.

2 comments:

okinawa912 said...

Leslie, I enjoyed your poem this morning. Just so happens that I am reading in the book of exodus, chapter 26, a little over half way. Anyhow keep up the good work our Heavenly and Gracious Father blessed you with. Sincerely david

Russell Roberts said...

Excellent! The true bread from heaven, born in Beth/lehem, the house of bread. He is wondrous to behold. As I am, you are obviously also enamored with our Majestic King!!!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org