Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Taking God at His Word

Last night as I tucked in my youngest daughter, we were reading about how God is always with us, that He is in control and that He sends angels to protect us.  She beamed with excitement as we read the scriptures; it was as if a new realization was sinking into her sweet spirit.  It was pretty cool because she often struggles with fear and worry and I could see that she was learning that fear is not something she needs to struggle with if she truly believes in God and His promises.


Her child-like faith didn't question anything - she received it and fell asleep peacefully because she knew that if God said it, it must be true!  It reminded me how Rod used to toss her up in the air and catch her.  It never even occurred to her once that he might drop her.  And he never did.  She trusted Him to catch her and enjoyed the experience instead of fearing it.  As her mother I would have to turn my head and look away as my heart about beat out of my chest because of the fear that he might drop her or miss.  Where did my child-like faith go?

As I watched her last night, I realized I wish I could understand this important life principle and rest like she did.  So often in life I struggle with control, worry, frustration and disappointment.  Yet, if I truly believe the Bible is the Word of God, I shouldn't be carrying any of this because in the Bible He tells me not to worry, to release control and to trust Him in all circumstances because His plan for my life is not to harm me but to give me hope and a future.  (Scripture references for these thoughts:  Jeremiah 29:11; Matthew 6:25; 1 Peter 5:7; Proverbs 3:5-6; Psalm 37:3-6)

I read in Hebrews 3-4 the other day that unbelief is actually sin in God's eyes.  God wants us to enter into His rest - to release our worries and fears to Him - but our unbelief keeps us from entering that rest.  The Israelites had the exact same thing happen to them.  Most did not trust, did not believe and did not rest in God's promises - and because of that, they were not able to enter into the Promised Land.

Remember - the Israelites are the very people who saw God part the Red Sea, saw the Cloud of His Presence leading them around, were fed with Manna from heaven and witnessed miracle after miracle! Yet they wandered around trying to get to the Promised Land in the wilderness for forty years grumbling, complaining, worshipping false gods and disobeying God's instructions to trust Him (ouch - sounds familiar).  When it all came down to it, in Hebrews 3:19 we read "So we see that because of their unbelief (the Israelites) they were not able to enter His rest." 


Do you believe God today?  Is your job in jeopardy?  Is there a family crisis?  Is your health failing?  Is a relationship falling apart?  Whatever is going on in your life, can you take a few moments to gain some perspective in God's word?  He doesn't lie.  He is honest, faithful and true.  When He tells us not to worry, He means it.  When He tells us He is in control, He means it.  When He tells us He has a plan for us - not to harm us but to prosper us and to give us hope and a future, He means it.

But do we believe it?

Today, I pray we will all learn to enter into God's rest - the rest that comes when a child of His lives in complete trust that their Father, God, has it all under control.  When we are tempted to worry, to fear or to control a situation, we can pray immediately and ask Him to give us peace in the situation, to give us a scripture to back up His promises and to give us the strength to trust Him to do what He says He will do.

Nothing surprises God or catches Him off-guard.  He knows, He sees, He's aware.  We do not have to live in unbelief!  We must trust Him, friends.  He loves us more than we could ever imagine.

And don't be concerned about what to eat and what to drink.  Don't worry about such things.  These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs.  Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and He will give you everything you need."  Luke 12:29-31

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder, Leslie.

April said...

Great and encouraging reminder.

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org