Saturday, January 23, 2010

Which Path Should I Take?

Do you ever have a few options to choose from before you and you wonder which path is the right one?  Maybe it's a job - should you take it?  Or perhaps it's another huge decision you need to make - what is the right decision?  Maybe you are wondering if you should take that mission trip?  What does God really want you to do and can you make the wrong decision?

I was recently in the process of making some decisions and was struggling a little bit.  I don't want to take the wrong path, since last year was so difficult for me (for more info on my struggles last year, you can read this blog entry).  So I went straight to the Word for some direction and it was so wonderful what I found!  I realized very quickly that as a child of God, I need to be confident in His leading and in His direction and focus on my relationship with Him, drawing close to Him, and He will lead me in the right direction every time.

Look at these scriptures....

Psalm 37:23-24  23 The Lord directs the steps of the godly.
      He delights in every detail of their lives.
 24 Though they stumble, they will never fall,
      for the Lord holds them by the hand.

Psalm 32:8  8 The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
      I will advise you and watch over you.

Psalm 25:8-10   8 The Lord is good and does what is right;
      he shows the proper path to those who go astray.
 9 He leads the humble in doing right,
      teaching them his way.
 10 The Lord leads with unfailing love and faithfulness
      all who keep his covenant and obey his demands.

Psalm 23:1-3  1 The Lord is my shepherd;
      I have all that I need.
 2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
      he leads me beside peaceful streams.
    3 He renews my strength.
   He guides me along right paths,
      bringing honor to his name.
 
Proverbs 3:5-6  5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
      do not depend on your own understanding.
 6 Seek his will in all you do,
      and he will show you which path to take.

Isaiah 30:20-21  20 Though the Lord gave you adversity for food
      and suffering for drink,
   he will still be with you to teach you.
      You will see your teacher with your own eyes.
 21 Your own ears will hear him.
      Right behind you a voice will say,
   “This is the way you should go,”
      whether to the right or to the left.

I'm sure there are even more scriptures, but you get the idea.  How do I know which path to take?  Well, according to the above scriptures, it's not about focusing on the paths before me - it's about focusing on God.  It's not about my own wisdom, it's about His.  It's not about being right or wrong....it's about trusting Him even when it doesn't make sense or it seems as if I've made the wrong choice.  God is in control of my life.  I love that Psalm 25:8 says He shows the proper path to those who have gone astray.  So even if I go astray, He will find me and get me back on track and He never wastes my pain.  His eye is always on me.  He is always there, according to Isaiah 30.  He is my Redeemer!

The most tempting thing to do is to freeze and not make a decision out of fear of making the wrong one.  That, my friends, is a decision.  It's a decision to do nothing!  We must trust Him to guide us and walk forward, unafraid.  The only fear we should have that motivates us is the fear of God, not a fear of making the wrong choice.  Seek Him in your decisions - seek His will.  He will not let the godly fall.  I heard it said once that our fear of God is not paralyzing, it is mobilizing.  It's a fear that comes out of the respect and awe we have for Him and it gives us confidence and a deep desire to do His will.  We are filled with His Spirit when we seek Him above everything else and He will guide us in the right path.

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org