Friday, March 5, 2010

The Kitchen Table

I was so touched by their joy and love for one another as I sat at the table with my missionary friends from East Africa who now live here and attend my church.  They were talking about the need they had for a kitchen table and how they were praying for one.  I began to think about what I would do if I needed a kitchen table.  Would I pray for one first?  Or would I start saving or pull out a credit card because I wouldn't want to wait for it?

I could see they loved to tell this story.  It wasn't a story about a kitchen table - it was a story of God's faithfulness.  He was saying that she wanted a table that pulled apart and could get bigger when you have friends over.  He didn't know what she was talking about.  They didn't have tables like that where they came from!  But she had seen one at a friend's house and thought it would be perfect.  So she prayed for one, specifically.  He laughed as he recalled the way he said "No! Don't pray for that - it could never happen!" But she prayed anyway. 

Not much longer after that, they received a call from some friends who had some furniture they wondered if they might want.  They drove over to check out the selection and found a nice kitchen table in the corner.  And wouldn't you know...it had a leaf in it that could be put in to expand it!  He was overcome with emotion as he looked at his beaming wife who was smiling ear to ear.  Her prayers had been answered!  They tearfully thanked God for this answered prayer. 

This story is just one of the many I've heard from this precious couple.  They serve the Lord in missions and they are living by faith that God will provide for them and they are being shown His faithfulness in their lives in such mighty ways.

I listen to their story and I'm so blown away by how God miraculously provides for them, and yet as they look around at the Americans who have so much, they say "You must be so thankful!  You are so blessed by so much!"  I wonder, though..am I thankful?  Do I realize that I'm so blessed?

One thing I know is that God loves to provide for His children.  And when He does, a simple "thank you" will warm His heart.  Yet all too often, I feel I neglect to ask - much less thank God - for the provisions He gives to me.  Maybe it's because I'm from a country where we get what we want and we usually get it quickly, forgetting that all things come from Him.  I'm not sure.  But I know right now that I'm aware and I'm really convicted.

What a beautiful reminder this has been for me.  God is my Provider.  Not my credit card, not my check book, not my wallet, my savings account and not even my paycheck.  God is my Provider!  He loves me and He cares for me and He wants me to ask Him for what I need.  I need to depend on Him more and trust Him more.  And I need to be sure to thank Him.  We really are so blessed.

Acts 16:18 .... He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; He provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.

Proverbs 30:7-9
  "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
       do not refuse me before I die:

  Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
       give me neither poverty nor riches,
       but give me only my daily bread.

 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
       and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
       Or I may become poor and steal,
       and so dishonor the name of my God.

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org