Saturday, April 3, 2010

In Security

I wasn't surprised when I heard Beth Moore's latest book is called "So Long Insecurity".  I suppose the reason it didn't surprise me is because God seems to always use this woman to speak truth into my life and this insecurity thing has been a real issue with me from the beginning of my life.  I heard someone say once that we are all insecure, but some of us are better at pretending that we aren't than others.  I wonder how true that is?

I do know that when I focus on what God thinks of me, I'm much more secure. His love for me never fades, isn't conditional and I cannot fail His expectations of me.  He knows every thought, every sin, every fear, every insecurity...and yet He loves me deeper than anyone else ever could.  How amazing.

I was listening to an old 1970's song by Don Francisco yesterday and I felt as if God were speaking it directly to my heart.  I had to listen to it over and over again and let the lyrics sink in.  The words were so encouraging...and I could so relate to them.  I kind of wish someone would re-do this song with more "up to date" music because I know a lot of people who could benefit from hearing this song and meditating on the truth in it.  Here are the lyrics to "I'll Never Let Go of Your Hand"....

I know what you've been hearing
I've seen you hide your fear
Embarrassed by your weaknesses
Afraid to let Me near
I wish you knew how much
I long for you to understand
No matter what may happen, child
I'll never let go of your hand

I know you've been forsaken
By all you've known before
When you failed their expectations
They frowned and closed the door
But even though your heart itself
Should lose the will to stand
No matter what may happen, child
I'll never let go of your hand

The life that I have given you
No one can take away
I've sealed it with my Spirit, Blood and Word
The everlasting Father
Has made His covenant with you
And He's stronger than the world you've seen and heard

So don't you fear to show them
All the love I have for you
I'll be with you everywhere
In everything you do
And even if you do it wrong
And miss the joy I've planned
I'll never, never let go of your hand


I hope you really took a moment to let those lyrics sink into your spirit.  Our insecurities come when we base our identities on what other people say.  I suppose it could be said this way...

Trust in man = Insecurity
Trust in God = In Security

Today, let's focus on what God says about us...

O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.  You know when I sit down and when I stand up, you know my thoughts even when I'm far away.  You see me when I travel and when I rest at home.  You know everything I do.  You know what I am going to say even before I say it Lord.  You go before me and follow me.  You place your hand of blessing on my head.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!  (Psalm 139:1-6)

How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.  They cannot be numbered!  I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!  And when I wake up, You are still with me!  (Psalm 139:17-18)

The Lord always keeps His promises; He is gracious in all He does.  The Lord helps the fallen and lifts those bent beneath their loads.  The eyes of all look to You in hope; You give their food as they need it.  When you open Your hand, You satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing.  The Lord is righteous in all He does; He is filled with kindness.  The Lord is close to all who call on Him, yes, to all who call on Him in truth.  He grants the desires of those who fear Him; He hears their cries for help and rescues them.  (Psalm 145:13-19)


This is what the Lord says:  "Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts from the Lord.  They are like stunted shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future.  They will live int he barren wilderness, in an uninhabited salty land.  

BUT blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.  They are like trees planted along the riverbank with roots that reach deep into the water.  Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought.  Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit."  (Jeremiah 17:5-8)

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org