Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Puffy Pirate Shirts & Pink Floyd

I'm sort of an enigma I suppose.  I love deep thoughts - love to be challenged by scripture and the meaning of life.  But I'm also a big goofball and I enjoy a good laugh sometimes.  Like today - I cannot stop laughing at myself.  I'm wearing a shirt that is reminiscent of the "pirate shirt" from Seinfeld.  "But I don't want to be a pirate!" keeps going through my head.  Every time I look at it I giggle and remember that ridiculous show about nothing that set the standard for sitcoms for years to come.

Also - I love Christian music and even worked in Christian radio for a long time.  But I also like Pink Floyd and listened to "The Wall" the other day while I folded laundry and ironed.  I actually gained a lot of insight into Mr. Floyd.  He was an interesting character.  My I-pod must be confused - I have bands like Metallica, Guns n Roses, Linkin Park and Journey but then I also have Hillsong, Phil Wickham, John Denver and Sigur Ros.  I have no idea what music I like best - it depends on my mood.  But just because I'm a Jesus follower doesn't mean I only listen to the Bill Gaither Trio.  You won't even find them on my I-Pod.

I like to put on comfortable clothes the minute I get home from work.  I enjoy dressing up but if I were honest, I'd rather sit criss-cross applesauce on a couch with a cup of coffee and get real with a friend.  No pretense.  Hate it.  I just want the truth - reality - no masks.  I hate masks.

I want you to feel welcome here at my blog, whether you are a strong believer in Christ or someone who is searching and not sure about Him.  I want you to know that I love you, no matter what you believe and I want you to feel like you can be yourself with me.  Because you can.  I want you to know that even though I have some deep thoughts about my beliefs, I'm pretty insecure.  I mean, I'll be honest - sometimes when I don't get a "like" on facebook I question myself.  Was it too much?  Not enough?  What if I got it wrong?  I'm human - go figure.

Sometimes I feel like I'm too heavy (not physically, though that is in question at this point in my life, too, but I digress...) with my thoughts - like Jack Handy from Saturday Night Live, only usually I have a point and it's not random.  I said usually.  And then other times I think I'm not heavy enough - I mean, if we really realized how important our belief in God is in the world, we'd all be a lot heavier in our thoughts.

I guess what I'm saying is don't put me in a box.  Don't try to define me and think that's who I am.  I will either let you down or surprise you.  I think we are all like that - multi-faceted.  We are all enigmas in our own little ways.  I like that.  I don't think it's good to be one-dimensional.  I like that about you, too.  I hope I never put you in a box - and if I do, I hope you claw your way out and prove me wrong.

Our lives are rich and beautiful - no matter who we are.  We are made in the image of God.  We were made to love, to seek and to find.  And even if we do it in a puffy pirate shirt while listening to Pink Floyd and ironing, I think we're pretty amazing.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks for being real and just speaking about how normal we all are- striving too much sometimes and not enough at others. It is cool to find this encouragement that we are really all walking this walk together =)

khaysjr said...

Amen Sista! I thought I might be letting some people down for enjoying some of those things that you referred to. I definitely get a chuckle from Seinfeld and listen to many different types of music as well. I struggle sometimes w/ entertainment choices when it offends me but not so much other family members. I know and have been reminded several times by my husband that it isn't what goes in, it's what comes out. However, should I or my family allow garbage to go in?? As I said before, even though some things I enjoy aren't necessarily "Godly", I do try and remember who I am...a child of God and if he would approve of me watching or enjoying what I'm involved in.

Leslie Nease said...

Khaysjr - you're right - it's so hard to know when we are crossing the line. I think Romans 14:12-13 sums it up beautifully...

"Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God. So let's stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall."

It's always going to be a struggle but knowing we are in it together and that we can trust the leading of the Spirit within us should be a tremendous comfort! :)

Blessings to you!
Leslie

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org