Monday, August 30, 2010

Give Me Your Thoughts on Christians & Social Media

I've noticed a huge trend in Christian blogs lately.  I think a lot of us are feeling the same tug in our hearts about one very important thing...are our social media efforts (blogs, facebook & twitter updates) about us or are they about Jesus?  Seriously, check out your favorite blog from your favorite Christian blogger and 9 times out of 10 you will find a post in there somewhere on this subject.  I've seen some terrific posts about narcissism, self-promotion and whether or not social media is even appropriate for believers.  I even wrote one myself about this a couple of months ago.

It's confusing.  We desperately want the world to know about Jesus and social media is a wonderful way to do that.  But we also want the world to know about us, so we can tell them about Jesus and show His love to them.  But where is the line?  I think it depends on who is drawing that line.  I think it depends on the one who is being protected by the boundaries of that line.  And the motives of the heart, which of course, no one can know but God.

I also think, in my own case, I tend to worry too much about what other people think.  I may feel a freedom to post something but once it's out there I worry about if people will sense my heart on the matter or if they will think my thoughts are narcissistic and self-promoting.  According to the Bible, however, my actions should not and cannot be controlled by my fears of what others might think.  My actions should only be based on what God thinks about the situation and if I feel He is leading me, I should not waste a moment on worry about what others may or may not think.  On the other hand, I have some very important people in my life who hold me accountable - and if they sense narcissism or pride in my life and confront me I take that issue to the Lord and I listen intently!

Is this something you wrestle with?  I want to discuss this today.  I know down deep we all want to do the right thing. We want the glory to be for Him, and Him alone. Have you struggled with wanting to do what's right in this area of social media? What are your boundaries?  Do you have accountability?  Maybe you've found a great balance - can you share where you've found that with the rest of us? If you have a blog post on this subject, or if you know of a good one, please post a link below in the comments section to it, so we can read what you have been writing or reading about.

Obviously, this isn't a blog with all the answers to this important subject...but a place to discuss, together, how we can glorify God in our social media efforts without seemingly glorifying ourselves in the process.  Thanks for participating!

4 comments:

Leslie Nease said...

Here are some recent blog posts I've seen on this:

http://www.twistimage.com/blog/archives/confessions-of-a-narcissist/

http://ht.ly/2wvc2

http://lisawhittle.blogspot.com/2010/08/selling-books-not-my-soul.html

http://www.reallifesuccess.com/fame-wrong-desire-be-famous

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on the purpose of your Blog/social media outlet. For instance, Facebook is a way for me to stay in touch with my friends and family, yes, I talk about my Faith, but discussing my faith is not the sole purpose of that avenue of communication. My Blog however, is a direct refection of my beliefs. I use personal history to relate to the topic of which I am speaking/writing not in a manner to Glorify myself and how I got through such and such situation, but as an instrument of how God worked through my situation. It is hard to publish a blog/book/posting etc... and not want to get positive feedback and see that people are listening. Let's face it, it feels good when people like our work/writing/speaking etc... I think you were right when you said, God Knows your heart and intentions. Leslie, I know you. You are not prideful. You are not vain. Maybe there are times when you feel a smidge of these things, but it is not WHO you are. Keep writing, posting, uplifting and worshipping through your Blogs and social outlets.

Leslie Nease said...

Thanks, Annonymous! I appreciate your encouragement so much. I have no intentions of quitting! :) haha Hopefully I didn't give that impression! I'm not weary or frustrated - I just know myself so well and keeping myself in check is a huge deal for me, as I'm sure it is with others.

I am anxious to hear what others are doing to keep themselves in check and what God is showing us all as we learn how to use this new medium of communication for His glory. I tried to share what my thoughts were with hopes that others would feel safe to share theirs, too.

Have a wonderful day - and thank you again for your encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I agree with her. Leslie, you are awesome! It doesn't matter your outlet, you always shine for Jesus. I do see though, how facebook can certianly be a door to some pretty bad stuff. I have personally seen people, Christian people, make bad choices on FB, so I agree with you that it is certianly an individual thing. I try to only use FB to talk about my family, or Jesus, not myself. I think it's great to suggest that we all kind of self-analyze to be sure we are using those outlets for the right things. Thanks again Leslie for your encouragment!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org