Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bed Time Battles

Bed time is difficult for my youngest daughter.  She seems to have a lot of fears and has a hard time sleeping.  I remember going through this as a child.  It's scary sometimes when you start to realize the world isn't full of sweet, well-meaning people who love you and would never want to harm you!  This world has some not-so-nice people and some pretty horrific things happen and of course, the news focuses mainly on those bad things.  Between house break ins, murders, bad weather and fires - her little mind is being completely attacked at night as her imagination ignites her deepest fears.

Do you have a little one who has fears like this?  Or maybe it's you - maybe you, yourself, struggle with a wild & vivid imagination and have thoughts you wish would go away as you try to get some rest?  As I told Peyton last night, the Truth of God's Word will always win out against these fears.  Fears are, as we all know, False Evidence Appearing Real.  But God's Word is Truth - and it's our weapon against bad thoughts that try to invade our minds.

If you or someone you love struggles with this, here is a list of scriptures I gave Peyton. I know there are plenty more, but these are the ones we used. By the time we were finished praying last night, she was fast asleep.  Our God is powerful!  Have your child (or you) read these out loud in the room and believe that God will do a mighty work in their mind as He transforms their thoughts and they rest in the Truth of His love:

Psalm 4:8
Psalm 5:11-12
Psalm 23
Psalm 34:3-7
Psalm 37:3-9
Psalm 91
Philippians 4:6-9

Sweet dreams!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
My daughter was up and down all night last night because of fears( we've dealt with this and on & off for years). Thank you so much for this. I am going to print up scripture for her today on pretty paper and turn it into a little book we can read @ night together. Our home was just broken into and this brought all the fears back :( With God's help, I know we will get through this. Feel free to post any other wisdom about helping our kids sleep despite their fears ;))
Carolyn

Leslie Nease said...

Oh, Carolyn I feel for you, my friend! It is so hard to see our kids going through this, isn't it? :( Peyton and I will say a prayer for her tonight.

We've printed the scriptures out, too - and it's so fun to see her face light up when she reads certain parts "He really said that Mom?!" I love it. You will be blessed by this, I just know it. :)

I appreciate so much your willingness to share your story and pray blessings on you and your family!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org