Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Our First Week!

So far, so good!  We are two days into our second week of homeschooling and Kennedy is doing well.  I will be honest, we've had a few times of tears - she does miss seeing her friends every day.  We are trying to be more intentional about her spending time with them on the weekends and evenings. But I can already see a difference in her attitude and she is a lot less stressed out.  I am excited to see how things go!

We met with her Language Arts and History teacher yesterday to go over a few things and try to catch up.  She attends school at Lakepointe Academy twice a week, where she is given assignments for us to do on the other three days together.  I'm already learning a lot - I can't believe how much I've forgotten since middle school!  We laugh because I skipped sixth grade (I was in a Christian school with a PACE curriculum and worked my way through fifth and sixth grade in one year) so Kennedy keeps saying "Mom, you were never even IN sixth grade, how are you going to be my teacher?!" haha

Peyton, Stephanie, Me and Kennedy - my girls!
Kennedy has been cooking more and doing more around the house as part of her home economics training.  She's helping with grocery shopping and planning the menu.  We've created a little area on my Facebook where she takes pictures of the food she creates and post the recipes.  She's such a little cooking diva!  She has also been going to the YMCA with me three times a week where we do "PE" class.  She seems to enjoy the break after a couple of hours of school work and I love taking her with me.

Another thing she is doing with me is attending Bible Study at our church.  It's a women's study on Wednesday mornings about character building.  We are studying the books of Judges and Ruth.  She is obviously the youngest girl there, but with a room-full of ladies who love the Lord to pour into her life, I see this is a huge step in the right direction!  There's a young mother in our church who is mentoring her, as well.  This is a huge answered prayer!  When I sent her an email asking her if she would pray about mentoring Kennedy, she replied right back and said "You're not going to believe this - the Lord put Kennedy on my heart last week to mentor and I've been praying about it already!"  I love how God works.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you an update on our new adventure!  I obviously haven't had much time to blog, but I will get into a groove eventually and find more time for it.  Until then, I'm going to focus and keep my priority where it needs to be - with my family.  I appreciate your prayers as we continue to learn and grow through this transition!

3 comments:

The Fabulous Flints said...

I am so encouraged! Thanks for sharing Leslie. Every child, evey year is a different journey in home education/discipling. Thanks for some creative ideas for me to use in the future. Mine are all still primary age, but I love the idea of mentoring. I hope and pray that all is well with you and yours. It appears as if it is!!!

The Fabulous Flints said...

I am so encouraged! Thanks for sharing Leslie. Every child, evey year is a different journey in home education/discipling. Thanks for some creative ideas for me to use in the future. Mine are all still primary age, but I love the idea of mentoring. I hope and pray that all is well with you and yours. It appears as if it is!!!

Anonymous said...

My oldest daughter attends Lakepointe & she loves it there! That is so cool that you are homeschooling your girls. I would love to bring our younger daughter who is in 8th grade to Lakepointe eventually. She is in public school. Your article has encouraged me to continue this pursuit & make it a prayer priority. Even though it is an "altnerative" public school, I'm seeing alot of negative influences that go against the grain of what we want our girls to learn. Thanks for sharing your experience - blessings! Hope it continues to go so well :) Lori, Rock Hill, SC

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org