Monday, September 6, 2010

Priorities

My family is going through a big transition this week.  Our daughter, Kennedy, begins homeschooling tomorrow and will attend a University Model School just twice per week.  (This means I am stepping WAY out of my comfort zone, by the way!)  However, my heart is completely resting in a very peaceful trust as I feel that it is what is best for my girl and I believe with all my heart that God will give me all I need to be able to pull this off - regardless of how inadequate I might feel sometimes! 

These are formative years in my daughter's life.  As a parent, I don't take that lightly.  It's not that I think public education is bad - as a matter of fact, we live in an excellent school district and she will probably even go back to public school for high school.  My two older kids both spent most of their school years in the Fort Mill School district and they did fine!

However, as a Christian family, we see some holes in the teaching in public school systems.  The holes are made when our government purposefully cut God out of all of the curriculum.  He is just irrelevant in public school curriculum.  We didn't notice it much in elementary school, really.  But it was middle school when my oldest daughter was sent to the principal for talking about her faith in Jesus with another little girl.  And it was in middle school when my son was reprimanded for putting a cross on his poster when he ran for office in the school.  It was middle school when my oldest kids were taught that the world came from a random, big bang and that evolution was how we got here.  It was middle school when they both began to drift from their faith.  One of them came back around, the other is still wrestling with it.

Do I have regrets?  No, I don't - at all.  I know both of my adult kids are on the paths God has for them and He has a plan and will use everything in their lives to make them into the people He knows they will be!  I know the persecution and situations they faced in middle school have made them stronger and more confident in their lives.  However, I also know that I've learned from experience that these are formative, important years in my kids lives.  If I can teach them their studies with a biblical worldview, I want to do that!  It's a wonderful opportunity and I'm excited about it.

Am I angry with the public school system?  Not at all!  I have many friends who work there and I respect many of the people who give so much to the public school system!  They are doing what they are told to do, plain and simple.  And I'm just doing what I'm told to do - that is the bottom line.  I feel very strongly that if someone believes their child is best off in public schools, then they should keep them there.  A lot of Christian kids do fabulously in public schools and shine their light for others in the process!  Every child is different.  Being sensitive to that is what my husband and I want to do as parents.

Our first assignment is for me and Kennedy to both write letters to ourselves.  Our letters will include reasons why we made this choice and it will be an encouragement to us so that if we have a bad day or feel overwhelmed, we can read those letters and remember the importance of this decision.  We did not make this decision for our daughter.  We gave her the option, explained the process and we all prayed about it.  She decided for herself, and we supported her decision.  I thought that was important because I want her to "own" this decision and put her whole heart into making it work. 

As a result of this transition, I won't be spending much time on Facebook, Twitter, or my blog as much for awhile.  I will check in and update when I can, but it will be a lot less frequent.  So don't take it personally if you message me or leave a message for me and I don't answer it right away. :)  This will be a big adjustment for me, as I find so much joy in connecting with you!  I am new at this whole home schooling thing, though, and I want to stay focused and intentional about it.  She deserves my best - and I want to give it to her!  My youngest daughter goes into middle school next year, and if all goes well, we will also be doing the same with her next year. 

In the meantime, if you need to reach me right away, I will be checking my email every day!  Please feel free to email me at lnease@leslienease.com.  I would appreciate your prayers and will keep you updated on how things are going as we travel down this new road together! 

“So commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders.  Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates,  so that as long as the sky remains above the earth, you and your children may flourish in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors.  (Deuteronomy 11:18-21)

2 comments:

Christina graham said...

thanks for the post. I am going through the same thing with my son right now. He speaking to a friend about the love of jesus and it was overheard and he was given a referral. In fact I could not bileve they wrote on the referral "justin said jesus christ in class. this is unacceptable behavoir" we were called in by the principal and everything. Its just horrible

Leslie Nease said...

I'm sorry to hear this Christina. I know God will use this in your son's life in a big way, though! He's faithful. Praying for your son - that he will continue to be strong!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org