Thursday, February 10, 2011

Seeing Beyond the Mess

"You've got to be kidding me!"  Those were the words I cried to the poor woman on the other end of the phone last Friday night when the listing agency called me to tell me someone wanted to see my house in fifteen minutes.  My house was a wreck!  I wasn't even home to clean it and my heart was beating out of my chest.  What should I do?  Should I say no?  Or should I just swallow my pride, let them see it and apologize for the mess?"  Those thoughts were swirling around in my mind.  I hesitated and then had a very clear, direct thought...This could be the one.  So I hesitantly said, "Please, just apologize for the mess and tell them they can come see it."

I drove home quickly and stuffed things in places, under beds, cleared counters and threw things in places that they certainly did not belong.  I did my best.  As we pulled out of the driveway, they were pulling up.  I was a mess. And so was my house!

I swallowed hard and began to cry.  It's stressful selling a house.  We've been tempted to go stay in a hotel so the house will always be clean, but that didn't make financial sense and honestly in this economy, I wasn't sure how long it would take to sell it.  But I can tell you - we have learned over the past five months how to get the house in tip-top shape in just under an hour.  But fifteen minutes?  Oh, have mercy.

The potential buyers came and left and the feedback we received was that our house was in the top three, but not their number one pick.  I shrugged and chalked it up to the messy house.  Oh well.  But then a day later, my friend Pam called (she also happens to be my Realtor) and told me that they wanted a copy of the seller's disclosure.  She said this was a good sign.  I had no idea what it meant, but I was glad she thought it was positive! (smile)

A day later, we received an offer on our home.  After some back and forth negotiating, we sold our house!  Our closing date is March 15.  Wow.  

I couldn't believe that the one time when I thought it was a mess, was out of order and was not worth seeing that someone actually wanted to purchase it!  It really made me think about my life.  How many times do I think I need to be something polished, perfect and all-together with others but really all they want is for me to be real?  How often do I try so hard to make a good impression and lose myself in the process?  Maybe if we weren't so afraid to show our flaws or be "imperfect" we might find that people actually appreciate us even more. 

These people who are purchasing our home are getting an wonderful place to live.  I'm glad they could see through the obvious imperfections and the messes to the beauty of our home.  I know they will enjoy it for many years to come!

3 comments:

BarbRyan said...

Hey Leslie,
Will you guys come be our neighbors! I just absolutely relate so much to the things you blog about!!! Congratulations!

Leslie Nease said...

Awww!! That's sweet, Barb. :) We are downsizing to a townhome here in the same area we live in now. We just don't need as much space now that 2 of our kids have left the "nest".

Wish we could be neighbors! :)

Leslie

Michelle said...

Hey Leslie, just wanted to say... congratulations on the sale of your house!! Looking forward to hanging out tomorrow if that still works for you!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org