Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Trusting Him

We are in the process of moving and if you've ever moved, you know it can be pretty stressful.  I'm thrilled we've sold our house, though I must admit it has been bittersweet.  We've lived here for twelve years - the longest I've ever lived anywhere.  My kids were raised here and I have tremendous memories with family and friends in the house.  It's going to be so hard to leave.  We close on Friday at 1pm, though, and this time next week, it will be a memory.

My husband is a smart guy and he doesn't allow his emotions to make decisions for him.  I think that is one of the many reasons why God put me with him!  If it were up to me, we'd stay here for the rest of our lives because the house is so special to me.  But it is just a house.  And his idea is so brilliant that I am submitting to his leadership in our home and trusting that God is speaking to him to move us on.  We just don't need all this space now that two of our kids have moved out of the house, so we are going to move into a smaller townhome that we can pay off quicker and get out of debt.  It makes total sense.  Oh, and he won't have to mow the lawn anymore so you can imagine, he's thrilled to say the least!

The only issue is that we have no idea where we are moving yet!  Well, we know where we'd like to move, but unfortunately, it's a townhome with a short sale that already has an offer on it.  Short sales confuse me - because the title "short sale" makes you think it won't take long to do, but it's quite the opposite!  They should be more aptly called "really long process sales" but I digress. (smile)  We went ahead and put an offer on it as a back up for the seller in case the other buyers change their minds but in the meantime, we wait.  My mom and step dad have offered to let us stay with them, but we don't know how long the "meantime" will be at this point because we are not sure where we are going or when!  On a side note, THANK YOU to my parents!  They are brave and wonderful to allow us to stay with them indefinitely.

It's tough not to know things.  But the most important thing God has taught me through this process is that we may not know some things, but there are other things we do know.  We know we have to get out of the house by Friday.  We know the house is sold.  We know we have to keep our eyes and ears open for other possibilities and our Realtor is doing the same.  We know the area we want to live.  We know that we have a God who already knows where we will live and when we will be living there.  Other than that, we cannot frustrate ourselves with the "what if" questions.  This has been a huge life lesson for me!


Instead of focusing on and stressing over the things I do not know, God is teaching me to focus on what I do know.  And I'm not kidding when I say it has been tremendously freeing, to say the least!  My husband and I were walking the other night and I shared this insight that God showed me with him.  Many times over the past few days, he has said that has helped him in prioritizing and decision making and how much he appreciated that little "nugget of wisdom", as he referred to it.  We both thank God so much for His leading in our lives!


I want to encourage you that if you are facing a stressful day (and I know we all have them sometimes), please...focus on what you do know and allow the other stuff to work itself out.  Don't drown yourself in the "what if's" in life or you will easily become overwhelmed.  Make your decisions and set your priorities for the day based on what you know and watch how our Sovereign God will take care of all the rest.


I will keep you posted on our move.  But in the meantime, as I learn to trust Him and focus on what I know, I'm not stressed about it at all.  I'm just trusting God, who knows everything.  And I pray you will trust Him in whatever you are facing today, as well.


Proverbs 16:9 "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."


Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do and He will show you which path to take."


10 comments:

michelle said...

You are an amazing person-your positivity is great just by reading what you and Lynn Goulette write you help get me through some rough parts of life -you really give others strength... thank you and good luck on finding a new home.

Leslie Nease said...

Michelle, thank you for your sweet encouragement. I am touched to know God used me and Lynn to help you get through some tough times. He knows just what we need, doesn't He? :) Blessings in abundance to you, my friend.

Leslie

Amy said...

The message at our church this week was about your exact situation. It's like you are on a trapeze. You've just let go of what was a sure thing and you're flying through the air to the partner that you know is there to catch you. You may be uncertain of some things but you are sure of where you will land.

Leslie Nease said...

Amy - that is such a great analogy! Thank you for sharing! :)

Michelle Georgiana said...

Thank you for writing this. I recently had a friend who was struggling with anxiety and a lot of what ifs. I really felt the Holy Spirit tell me that "what ifs keep you paralyzed and from missing the present moments."

Thank you for being transparent, open and honest - writing about "real life" stuff that all of us as women face. You are truly an inspiration and model for me in ministry.

God Bless You
Michelle

Leslie Nease said...

Michelle, thank you for your encouragement this morning! I love your advice to your friend - so true! Blessings to you & your family!

Leslie

Carla said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome post Leslie! I passed it along to my mom who is waiting for her house to sell and trying to "trust" in the waiting. Praying for you today!!!

Leslie Nease said...

Carla I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and passed it on to your mom! Praying she will find peace as she trusts in His timing! :)

Leslie

Kendra said...

His mercies are new every morning!!! Praying you find that to be true and peaceful on this "first" morning...can't wait to see what adventure's He has in store for you :o)
Love
Kendra

Leslie Nease said...

Thank you Kendra! :) I'm looking forward to it too!

Leslie

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org