Saturday, April 16, 2011

Are You Functioning Half-way?

Gosh, I love my husband.  We went on a date, just the two of us, last night and had a nice meal.  Then we sat in the parked car and talked for hours.  As we talked, I realized that it had been awhile since we'd done that.  We are currently living with my mom and step father until our house is ready to move into (we close on April 28!) and it's a smaller space with six people and three pets and though we all get along fabulously and there isn't any drama, it's hard to find one-on-one time with each other.  I'm sure Mom and Dave feel the same way!  They are being so sweet about it though.

As Rod and I talked last night, we began to rehash the past few months as we looked for a home together.  We both laughed as we remembered all the many, many (did I say many?) houses we looked at together.  If Rod had been left with the decision alone, we would've moved into a house that would not have been my choice.  If I had made the choice, he would not have been happy with it, either!  But together, we made the perfect choice.  The day we were driving to see the house we ended up purchasing, I remember saying something to the effect of, "We're never going to find a house we agree on!"  I remember feeling frustrated and wondered if we'd ever agree on anything.

But the moment we walked in, we both knew.  I don't even think we spoke as we walked from room to room.  I was stunned at how at home and excited I felt and didn't want to share it with him because I thought that meant he hated it.  But I glanced over at him and saw "the smile".  You know, the look that says, "Oh yeah, this is the one."  So after we'd looked over the whole home, I looked at him and said, "This is the 'one', isn't it?"  We hugged and I knew that we'd found it.  The offer was made just two days later and we've not had one single regret.  No doubts.  No fear.

As we talked last night, he said something that impacted me deeply.  He said that we need to make more decisions in our life like we did about the house.  Whether it be in our careers, our ministry, our family, no matter what...we need to be in agreement.  We are not just two individuals.  We are married, and according to God's Word, we are now one.  But often in our lives, we make our decisions without a thought of what the other might think.  Now, we don't do this to be inconsiderate, and I even think we sometimes make these decisions because we don't want to bother the other with what we consider to be our own issues.  But we are one.  We are married and next month, it will be twenty-two years that we've been married.  Did it really take us this long to figure this out? (smile)

What a blessing it is and what a privilege it is to be married to Rod!  He loves the Lord, desires to lead our family spiritually and there is never a doubt in my mind that he loves me.  Last night, on our date, I was reminded of all of that.  Thank you, Lord, for giving me such a wonderful man to walk through this life with.  My "other half".

Have you dated your spouse lately?  If not, I encourage you to do it.  And talk.  Really talk.  After all, your spouse is your other half.  We are not meant to function half-way.

Genesis 23-24:
23 “At last!” the man exclaimed.
   “This one is bone from my bone,
      and flesh from my flesh!
   She will be called ‘woman,’
      because she was taken from ‘man.’”

 24 This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.

7 comments:

Kendra said...

What a beautiful message to remind me of...thank you :o)
BTW...congrats on 22 years!!!

Leslie Nease said...

Thank you so much, Kendra!

Michelle Ernster said...

Wow!(and a little ouch too) I really needed to hear this. Thanks! Congratulations on both your anniversary and the house. Very exciting! I am praying for you my friend! :)

teri-free2bme said...

Great news about finding your new home after "many, many" looks... that you found the perfect one together :) Love the picture of the two of you... like kids still in love- the way it should be! Congrats on 22 years (next month).

Leslie Nease said...

Michelle - so good to hear from you! Thanks so much for commenting. Gosh I miss you all so much!

Teri - thanks so much, girl. Hope you have a wonderful Saturday night!

Kris said...

LOVE this post, Leslie- I agree wholeheartedly and am encouraged and blessed to read your story finding just the right house. Neat to see how the Lord used that to bring you closer to one another!

Leslie Nease said...

Kristin - so good to see you here on the blog! :) Thanks so much for the encouragement. Praying blessings on you and your family!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org