Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dear Friend,

This is a poem I wrote back in 2009 that I felt I wanted to share with you again today.  So many people judge Jesus by looking at Christians, and unfortunately we often fall woefully short of representing Him the way we should.  So this poem is a letter I wrote to anyone who has decided to walk away from Jesus as a result of something they have experienced with someone who claimed to represent Him as a Christian.  I hope you will take a few moments to read it before you continue walking away from the purest and most beautiful Treasure you could ever find....

Dear Friend,

I've heard of your decision to turn away from Jesus Christ
and I understand the reason is some folks you've met in life.

Apparently some Christians that you've come across before
have much to say of the wrong you do, but your needs, they just ignore.

Many who claim to know Jesus don't really know Him very well
(At least the way we live our lives, it can be very hard to tell)

Our lives should always reflect Him, but they don't and that's a shame.
We judge, we point, we criticize - all in Jesus' Name.

I think we believe it's easier to point at others when they sin
than to look into the mirror at the person who's within.

We often quote the Bible to prove to you that we're right
instead of loving and praying for you, we'd rather win a fight.

Although we read in scripture that quarreling is not effective,
instead we should show grace and love while listening to your perspective.

We often say that we know God and that He tells us what to do
but we live a life that's contrary to what we've shared with you.

God tells us in His word that for the world His life He gave
But we judge and avoid the "sinners" - the very ones He wants to save.

Sometimes I think we just forget that we are sinners, too.
Our broken lives, healed by His love - the same love He has for you.

He's the only One you can fully trust - the rest of us are frail
we're in a process - just like you - and often we do fail.

In the pages of the scriptures, though, we see a better way
We must live out what we believe if it's Truth we want to convey.

I beg of you to look to Christ - He's the only One who is perfect
He saves us, though we aren't deserving - He believes we're worth it.

My deepest apologies, dear friend, for the treatment you receive.
I pray you'll look past our many faults and in Christ, by faith, believe.

Matthew 7:1

Do not judge others, and you will not be judged.  For you will be treated as you treat others.  The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before.  Then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live... 

2 comments:

sharelle said...

~ Such truth. Unfortunate, but true concerning the view of Christianity that others get by looking at many that claim to serve the risen Christ. I've heard it said one too many times that Christians are the first to crucify - even those within their congregation. While I certainly fall short on a daily basis, there are Believers and non-believers that seem to make their motto "Born This Way" as means to excuse words, actions and deeds that in no way resemble that of Christ-like behavior.

May I strive to be a better me on a daily basis...a me that reflects TRUE Christianity.
At times my strive may be a struggle against the desires of flesh and the sinful nature to which I was indeed born. May I not use the crutch phrase being "Born This Way" as an excuse to not strive to live a life reaching higher to achieve the standards put in place by Christ. And though I shall fall short again and again, may I not fail to keep striving, reaching and trying.

Thank you for sharing. Your words give cause to pause and serve as a reminder to reach higher than myself - moment by moment.

Leslie Nease said...

Amen Sharelle! May we all reach higher than ourselves and love people right where they are. :) Thank you for your insight!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org