Tuesday, May 3, 2011

He Loves You

I was listening to a preacher on the radio talk about his story of how he found out about Jesus.  He said that he was at a church service and the pastor told him that God loved him.  It was the first time anyone  ever told him that before!  I sat there, almost sick in my gut because I realized that often I forget that some people don't realize this truth.  We hear it and read about it so often that we forget that some people never hear it at all.  How heart breaking.  But God loves us all.  He loves you! 

As I thought about this, I thought about the lies that the enemy will send as soon as someone tells you that God loves you.  I know that's what he did to me.  He reminded me of all the "stuff" in my life and asked me questions like "Why would God love you anyway?" and "Do you really think God could ever use you after the sinful life you've lived?" and I really struggled with believing.

God's voice is always so gentle and kind.  I remember once I told my daughter about the verse in 1 Kings 19 where it says that Elijah heard God's voice in the gentle wind, like a whisper - not in the strong, violent wind, the earthquake or the roaring fire.  She really must have listened because later that night as she read her Bible story to me, when she would speak the words that God spoke, she whispered.  I was so moved.

I wrote this poem as I reflected back on what it's like to come to terms with realizing that God really does love you.  I hope you will enjoy it.   And today - let's remember to tell people how much God loves them!  Better yet - let's show them. They may have never heard this before.

I love you.

Those were the words I heard as I ran away in fright
I ran because I didn't have the courage left to fight

I love you.

Though His words were true, I did not comprehend
That His love is unconditional and on it I could depend 

I love you.

There He goes again!  I cannot run away
His voice was getting stronger now - my knees were giving way

I love you.

Even though I didn't love Him like I should?
Why would He love me anyway?  I'd never do Him any good.

I love you.

Oh, His voice was sweet and gentle and so clear!
So why was I afraid to trust a love that was sincere?

You're worthless.

The other voice is loud - the one that tells me lies.
I'm weary from this battle now, my tired spirit cries.

He's mad at you.

See, I knew that it was too good to be true
After all I've done to hurt Him, after all I've put Him through

You're a fraud.

This couldn't be truer - I've pretended and deceived
I based my faith on religious acts, but I never truly believed.

I love you.

Oh that Voice again!  I feel more safe and sure
That this Voice is speaking Truth to me, it is so gentle and so pure.

You're priceless.

Could it be the Truth - that Jesus died for me?
A price that no one else could pay - to set my spirit free!

I'm not mad at you.

He reminded me that His wrath was satisfied
On the day that Jesus gave His life and was brutally crucified

I love you.

I couldn't live this life of pretending it wasn't so
That lying voice was silenced now! It was time for it to go

I'm sorry.

Please forgive me Lord! I've sinned and gone astray!
Would you forgive me for my sin and live in me today?

I love you.

I believe Him now, and I receive this truth for me
I feel the chains are lifted and I'm finally living free!

I love Him.

So my life has changed, I'm not living like before
His Holy Spirit's presence in me has given me hope for what's in store! 

Jeremiah 31:3
..."I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness."

4 comments:

Taylor said...

I love that poem! YOU are a talented writer!

Yes, sometimes we don't really let it sink in that God loves us THAT MUCH!

Leslie Nease said...

Thanks Taylor! He is so good, isn't He? :)

Kianna said...

amazing just amazing

Leslie Nease said...

((hugs))

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org