Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Starbucks Quandry

My daughter, my son and I went to the movies after a run to Starbucks awhile back.  We had not finished our coffee when we got to the theater and we knew they probably would not allow us to have outside drinks in the theater, so we were left in a quandary.  What followed was strangely psychologically intriguing as we all three reacted in ways that totally reflect our personalities...

Stephanie:  Stephanie is very cautious, never does anything to offend anyone and is super sweet.  Her personality is always "Avoid confrontation at all costs."  So....Stephanie chugged her coffee in the car before we approached the ticket counter to avoid any and all confrontation. 

Tommy:  Tommy is a rebel.  He is one who takes risks, enjoys a challenge and is always angry that the movie theaters charge more than they should for food and drink so he has no issue with bringing his own food or drink in.  So....he took the coffee and put it inside of his jacket and zipped it up.  

Me:  I've learned by life experience that "we have not because we ask not".  I did not want to chug my coffee because I knew it would make me sick, but my convictions would not allow me to hide it and I said to my kids, "You're over-reacting..let's just ask what we should do and then we will be able to make a decision."  So....I asked the lady as I purchased my tickets if it would be okay if I took my coffee into the movie theater.  She warmly replied "Sure!  No problem."

At that point, my kids looked at each other and started cracking up laughing as they realized their decisions completely reflected their personalities and mine reflected mine. Often we think we know what we are up against but honestly we don't know until we ask or take a concerted effort to find out!  My mother always told me, "The only failure is not to try!"
 
By the way, Stephanie ended up with an upset stomach after chugging her mocha and did not enjoy the movie as much as she could have.  Tommy ended up burning himself when the coffee spilled inside of his jacket and then smelled like Starbucks the rest of the day.  
 
I, however, enjoyed my coffee...one sip at a time. :)
 

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Hee hee hee...I'm a Stephanie...tummyache and all!! Thanks for the reminder to have courage, "for God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, and love, and self discipline" ...still having problems with self discipline, too.... :)

Leslie Nease said...

haha!! I know, I usually am a Stephanie, too but for some reason I think I'm learning to ask and hope for the best. Usually people are a lot more willing to bend if we are up front with them! LOL

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org