Monday, October 31, 2011

The Difficult Path

Yesterday I went on a hike with my husband and our two oldest kids.  It was a perfectly beautiful day in the mountains of North Carolina.  We began our hike up the "difficult" path, a very steep, rocky path that had me breathless in the first minute or so, but it was worth the hours of effort to see the beauty from the peaks of the different mountains we were able to ascend.  Seriously, it was breath taking!

As we were hiking one of the more difficult trails, my daughter Stephanie and I decided we would go slowly.  No need to hurry, we though, because we didn't want to risk hurting ourselves out in the middle of nowhere!  There were these little trees on either side of us at one point that had sturdy branches we were able to hold onto at moments when we felt we might slip. The trail was still a bit wet and even a tad icy from a storm just a couple of days ago.  The branches were so sturdy, it was as if someone was holding out their hands to help us!

Stephanie mentioned how timely it was that those trees were so readily available for us to grab onto at just the right time.  She said, "Every time I feel like I'm going to fall, it seems there is a tree right there for me to hold onto.  Kind of like life - just when I feel my feet are slipping, God always sends someone I can grab onto to help me up."

Ah...this was turning into the perfect day.  Family.  Nature.  Sunshine.  Exercise. And now, a spiritual analogy!  (smile)  I love hearing God speak to me in the things of nature.  As I thought a few moments about what she said, I added, "You know, that's so true.  God always provides someone to help keep us from slipping.  But their roots must be deep in Him if they are going to be able to hold us up!"

Do you have someone in your life who keeps you from slipping?  Do you have an accountability partner, a friend, a mentor - someone you can depend on, whose roots are deep in God's Word and who can help keep you from falling flat on your face in the midst of a rocky, slippery path?  If so, why not take a moment to thank them today? Maybe they are not even aware that they are that person in your life. 

And one more question...are your roots growing deep in Christ and God's Word?  Our roots determine our spiritual sturdiness.  If our roots do not go deep, we will wither away during times of difficulty. (Luke 8:13)

We are not meant to walk this difficult path alone.  We are here to encourage one another, to love each other and to be rooted deep in God's Word so we can be a sturdy help for others in their time of need.  The view from the top will be worth the effort!  And together, we can do all things through Him who gives us strength.

Colossians 2:6-7  "And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow Him. Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness."

4 comments:

Kendra said...

I do!!! Thanks for the reminder to send her a big 'ol "THANK YOU!" Love that your daughter has you to grab onto...such an inheritance :) Couldn't help but notice that it wasn't the same branch you kept latching onto, but different ones for different parts of your journey... Love ya, you big branch!!!!
kendra

Leslie Nease said...

Love you too,girl! Thank you so much for your encouragement!! xxoo

Brenda Porter said...

Leslie this is such a true and remarkable post. I am blessed that I have your posts on Facebook and here and my Church and friends there to lean on. God works through each of us each day to carry each of us through. Love ya!

Leslie Nease said...

Thanks so much Brenda! Blessings right back at you my friend. :)

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org