Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's Just a Little Sin...


My friend had someone come to her home to fix her broken car windshield. She was disappointed because apparently, they don't replace the entire windshield anymore - seems they just fix the ding with some sort of ding fixer and it supposedly makes it all better. The only problem is, she can still see it! And it's right in front of her face - a total distraction.  She is going to have to replace the windshield altogether at her own expense, since insurance won't cover fully replacing it.

I see a parallel here.  James 2:10  says "For the person who keeps all of the laws except one is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God's laws." Sometimes we often think that one sin is worse than the other - like maybe if we think an evil thought or gossip "just a little", God won't look at it as that big of a deal.  I've even heard people say they think they will go to heaven since they have never murdered anyone; as if there are sins that we can actually get away with, but some we can't. 

The truth is, once we break even one of the laws, we've broken the whole thing.  Just like my friend's window.  We can try to fix it or cover it up, but the flaw will still be there.  Did you know that God didn't give us the law (the Ten Commandments) so we would follow them?  He knew we couldn't!  He's not putting unrealistic expectations on us - He is showing us our realisitic condition.  According to Romans 3:20 "No one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands.  The law simply shows us how sinful we are."  So, even our seemingly "tiny" sins are enough to ruin us.

Even if the only sin you've ever committed is checking the box "Yes, I have read these terms and agree to the conditions" when you haven't really done it (smile), you are a sinner in God's eyes.  Just like the window that cannot be fixed with "ding fixer", we must be replaced in order to be made new.  Why?  Because our sinful condition is unacceptable to a Holy God - He will not tolerate it and it's for His good and for our good that He judges our sin.  But if all of this seems hopeless, think again.  God's love for us is beyond comprehension.

How do we get "replaced"?  God has us covered by His Insurance Policy....

  
But now God has shown us a way to be made right with Him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago.  We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ.  And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.  Romans 3:21-22

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 John 1:9

And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations. Ezekiel 36:26-27

For more information on what it means to have a relationship with Jesus Christ, please visit www.christianityexplored.org.  





6 comments:

Kendra said...

I lllooovvveeee this, especially as a recovering Pharisee :) THANK YOU JESUS!!!
love
kendra
PS (adored your technical lingo: ding fixer..) tee hee hee

Leslie Nease said...

Hahaha....yeah, I figured that technical lingo would add credibility to my writings. :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

This is too perfect for me because I just got my windshield fixed with the "ding fixer" (smile) and within a day, another one showed up! Wondering what THAT means? (another smile!!!) Thank you Leslie for sharing this message in a way we can truly see and understand! Love you!

Leslie Nease said...

haha...that's awesome! Thanks so much for your comment! :)

Anthony said...

I'm not sure how I ended up here but that was POTENT! Thanks for sharing His grace with us online. His presence in your life is unmistakable!

Leslie Nease said...

That's so cool, Anthony. Thanks for taking the time to read it and comment. I think I might know how you ended up here! :) He is always on the move.

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org