Thursday, November 17, 2011

God's Greatest Teachers in My Life

My two youngest girls have been teaching me a lot about faith lately.  I always enjoy learning from my children (they are the greatest tools God uses to teach me!).  As a matter of fact, my oldest daughter, Stephanie, is one of those whom God used to show me what a real relationship with Jesus looks like!  You can read about my story with her by clicking here.  Lately, my two girls who are still at home have been teaching me such deep and powerful truths.  Now, it's not as if they set out to do it intentionally, but as I watch them live their lives and learn to love and trust Jesus more, I am learning and growing myself.
Kennedy & Peyton

My 11-year old daughter, Peyton, has been showing tremendous faith recently.  This morning I shared on my facebook and twitter accounts something she said during the tornado warning last night that just blew me away.  During the storm, we had to move to the basement in order to stay safe (it was literally within a few miles of us) and as we sat down there, I realized she was calm.  She even had a smile. This is a little girl that used to be afraid of everything!  She said, with complete confidence, "Mom, I'm not afraid of this tornado. God told me that He has big plans for my life and I haven't done anything big yet."  I was speechless.  I don't know that I have ever trusted God so much in the midst of such a literal storm!  I think she just did something big - at least in my heart!

Here's another example:  A few nights ago, she was sleeping in my room with me.  She was talking with me before we turned out the lights about how many people were believers in the world.  She heard someone say 2 billion.  But she knew there were 7 billion people in the world.  She was very concerned about this and so I told her to pray about it and see what God would say.  We turned out the lights and I rolled over to go to sleep.  A few minutes later I hear her sweet little voice, "Mom!  Is there a verse in John 16:3?"  I said, yes, but I wasn't sure what it said.  I asked her why.  She said she asked God why so many people were not Christians in the world.  So I looked it up.  This is what it said:

John 16:3 New Living Translation (NLT)

3 This is because they have never known the Father or me.
Peyton & Kennedy in younger years!

We were both shocked!  Peyton gasped and wondered if God does that all the time with us!  Could this be a coincidence?  No, I don't think so.  I don't believe in coincidences.  A man I used to know who passed away several years ago used to say, "There are no coincidences, only God-cidences!"  I believe that. 

I also have a 13-year old daughter named Kennedy.  I was watching The Passion of the Christ with her the other day and was so struck by how much of the movie she knew was prophetic or scriptural.  She'd comment, "Mom, wasn't that to fulfill the prophecy about how Jesus would refuse the drink on the cross?" or she would say, "Mom, I'm so amazed how God knew the Jewish people would crucify Jesus but He allowed it because it was all a part of His plan."  Seriously?  At 13 she is noticing this stuff?  I looked her in the eye and said, "Kennedy, I didn't realize you've really been listening all these years!"  She giggled.  I'm ashamed to admit I never thought they were really listening.  I thought maybe those teachings were too deep for them to grasp.  I was wrong.

God is doing something big in our children's lives!  Let's not miss it.  Remember, the prophet Isaiah spoke..."A little child shall lead them." Are we attentive to our children and are we helping them build their faith?  They are listening.  They can handle more than we could ever imagine.  They are hearing from God, I believe this with all of my heart.  Do we have the faith of a child?  Because they have the kind of faith we all desperately need.  Faith that doesn't question.  Faith that believes.  Faith that keeps us from fear.

Peyton and I were reminded the other night, there are 5 billion people in the world who have never known Jesus.  We are here to lead them to Jesus!  And how will they be led to Him through our example if our faith is frail and based on the wisdom of the world?  I want the faith of a child.  I'm so thankful God has given my children to me as an example.  They are not perfect (let's be real here!), but they are listening and they are growing in their faith every single day!  What a blessing.



 

3 comments:

Kendra said...

I soooooo love your girls! I so love the fact that they get to know Jesus their WHOLE lives!! What a tremendous gift you and Rod have given them :) One of my favorite Scriptures: "But how can they call on Him to save them unless they believe in Him? And how can they believe in Him if they have never heard of Him? And how can they hear about Him unless someone tells them? And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is what the Scriptures mean when they say "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring the Good News"!" Romans 10:14-15 Looks like Peyton might share her Mama's passion for evangelizing, and Kennedy clearly has a gift for applying God's Word :) Can't wait to see how God uses them!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear these stories! I love to hear how God works through our children because He does and I think we can easily take it for granted! I am so glad I have gotten to meet your daughters one time to make their stories hit home even more! Lovely girls! Lovely mama!!!! xo! Jessica

Leslie Nease said...

Thanks Kendra & Jessica! Gosh, I love you girls so much. My girls are pretty wonderful - but I could be a little biased...haha :) xxoo

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org