Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cleaning Up

I knew when I reached into my purse for my wallet that I was only scratching the surface of the gummy mess that awaited me in the rest of my purse.  See, I get tired of gum pretty quickly.  Unfortunately, the other day I got tired of it and put it in a piece of paper and was not in an area where I could toss it in the trashcan, so I threw it in my purse to throw away later.  Problem is...I forgot it was there.  Before I knew it, the gum had escaped the piece of paper and had attached itself to every item in my purse - including my cell phone, my lip gloss and my wallet.  It was a mess and honestly, quite disgusting.

But it got me to thinking.

I realized that I'm like that with sin in my life at times.  I am finished with the sin - ready to get rid of it - but instead of dealing with it fully, I tuck it away conveniently in my heart somewhere, intending to deal with it when it's more convenient.  Before I know it, it is attaching itself to my thoughts, my intentions, my motives and my desires.  It begins to destroy me.  What I thought was temporary now becomes messier than ever.

Is there anything in your life right now that you need to deal with?  Me too.  I'm so tired of the messes that I allow to creep into my heart and my life.  My intentions to deal with it "later" don't ever work the way I plan.  Today is the day.  Waiting is not an option.  It will only get worse.

What do you say we give ourselves a gift for Christmas?  A clean heart and conscience.  I can't think of a better gift for not only myself, but the ones who love me the most.  King David said in Psalm 51:10, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, renew a loyal spirit within me."  That's my prayer this Christmas Eve.  Our messes are never too messy for God!  He loves us and only He can clean our hearts and make them pure again.

Merry Christmas, friends.  Praying God's grace, peace and joy over each of you today and into the new year! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting to see this verse again! God gave me this verse 2 Lents ago to meditate on. I read it every day, many times a day throughout Lent and really took it too heart! And, let me tell you, God's promise in that verse came true for me by the end of Lent! He is so good, always! I will pray it again as 2011 is coming to an end and the promise of a new year lies ahead! Love you Leslie!!!! Jessica W.

Leslie Nease said...

Jessica, thanks girl! Love you too! Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family. :)

Kendra said...

That's my favorite Psalm! Any suggestions for the hot mess of my house?

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org