Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Asking for a Blessing

Our family tradition is to go to the beach for a week just after Christmas to unwind, refocus and reflect.  It's one of my most favorite times of the year!  We are enjoying some relaxation here at Edisto Beach this week and honestly it's my favorite trip yet.  This beach is more secluded, less commercial and it feels like a real retreat.  I think I might cry when we leave!

The first night we were here, I went out on the third floor balcony, which has a beautiful view of the sky.  The stars were going on for miles and miles.  I absolutely love the sky.  I just sat there, bundled up, praying and thanking God for such a beautiful display.  As I watched the sky, I prayed He would show me a shooting star.  I don't know why I wanted to see one, but I did.  I really believed in my heart that He wanted to show me one, too.  I even told Him I wasn't going to go inside until I saw it, just so He'd know how serious I was (I am a stubborn one at times).  But I ended up going inside after about thirty minutes because I was too cold to sit out there for much longer and it had already been an hour.

As I prayed that night, I thanked Him anyway.  I may not have seen my shooting star, but honestly my heart was so full.  I knew it was a lot to ask.  I also know it's important to walk by faith, not by sight. Whether He showed me a shooting star or not didn't matter - He was still God and I trusted Him.  But I still felt that before I left, He would show me a shooting star.  Don't ask me how I knew, I just knew deep in my heart. As I drifted off to sleep, I felt so peaceful.

I told my girls about my experience the next day.  I told them that sure, I was disappointed but I knew God would show me one before I left.  I think in their hearts, they knew He would come through, too!

Yesterday, as I was scrolling through the internet, I found an article about a Meteor Shower that was going to be showing up on Wednesday morning around 2:30am and would last for hours.  Not only did it say it was a meteor shower, but a strong meteor shower!  I knew right away that God was going to show me that shooting star, but I was going to have to work for it by setting my alarm and getting up in the middle of the night. Oh, I love my sleep.  This was conflicting for me!  Then, I recalled the night before Jesus was crucified how He asked the disciples to stay awake and pray, but they kept falling asleep because it was in the middle of the night and they were tired.  It felt as if God was saying, "I want to bless you, but you need to do your part." 

How badly did I want it?  Would I sacrifice to get my blessing by waking up at 3am and shivering in the cold to see it?

Of course I would!

Last night around 3am, my girls and I were on the third story deck of this beautiful beach house, watching a perfectly clear, star filled sky rain down shooting stars while wrapped in big comforters. And the scripture that kept coming to me was James 1:17-18:

Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession.

Don't be afraid to ask Him for a blessing, my friend.  He loves you so much!  But you might be asked to do your part.  You must decide...is the blessing worth the effort?  My bet is, you'll see that it truly is.  I only asked for one shooting star...but His plan was to give me a sky-full!




To read about another time I asked God for something and He went above and beyond, click here!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Thank you :)

Donnetta said...

I have been challenged with the thought of making a sacrifice to receive the blessing. Powerful!

So glad you had this amazing blessing! (and chose to make the sacrifice to receive it!) :-)

Leslie Nease said...

Hey Donnetta! :) I'm so thankful it's not always like that, aren't you? :) Love you, sweet friend.

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org