Monday, February 6, 2012

I've Got the Power!


The other night, on my way home, I picked up my cell phone to call my husband.  Unfortunately, it was dead.  The power had run out and I did not have a way to charge it.  Ugh.  Don't you hate it when that happens?  I giggled as I thought about my new smart phone that my husband gave me that was equipped with all the bells and whistles was beautiful but worthless.  It sure looked good on the outside, but it was absolutely of no use to me at all.  I mean, what good is a cell phone without any power?

As I thought about this I realized that for many years of my life, my spiritual walk was kind of like that.  I said I knew Jesus, said all the right things, went to church and even read my bible occasionally but I was like a cell phone without power.  I didn't have the power of the Holy Spirit inside of me because I had never truly surrendered my life to Jesus Christ.  I didn't have a personal relationship with Him, I just looked good on the outside. 

In John 14:16-17, Jesus promises that He will send the Holy Spirit to live in us when we become true believers in Him.  He says the Holy Spirit will lead us into the Truth, give us guidance and He will not abandon us.  In Acts 1:8, right before Jesus ascended back to heaven, He said "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you". 

One day, I sat back and evaluated my life and realized I did not have that kind of power inside of me.  I began to see I didn't have a changed life, I didn't grieve over my sin like I should, I continued to live a double life of partying and swearing and then would get up and go to church the next day without batting an eye.  I knew that my way was not working out at all and that I needed help in order to live the Christian life.  I couldn't do it on my own!

I realized that I needed Him to live inside of me, change me, mold me, convict me and guide me.  I had to turn away from my sin and toward my Savior.  I needed to confess my sin to Him, ask Him for forgiveness and allow Him to make those changes in my life that I was incapable of doing.  God knows we cannot do this in our own power - that's why He wants to do it, Himself, through us. Even with His power, there are times I mess up and rely on my own power, but my heart grieves and I eventually return to Him and "plug back into His power" because I know that without Him, I am hopeless. 

If you are still trying to do it on your own, I beg you to spend some time with the Lord, asking Him to show you the truth of where you stand with Him.  Someone who claims to be a Christian but doesn't have the power within of the Holy Spirit is like a cell phone without power - it may look good on the outside, but honestly, can it do what it claims to do? 

1 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Ahhhhhh....this was so me, too! Thanks for loving us enough to tell it like it is <3

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org