Friday, March 23, 2012

Every Job Counts


I remember quite a few years back, before I was on the radio, I took a job as a waitress at a local restaurant.  My husband had just lost his job and we were in a situation where we needed some extra income.  I was such a brat about it at first.  The first two weeks I felt sorry for myself, cried on the way to and from work and thought how unfair it was that I "had to do this".   I'm embarrassed as I recall my ungodly attitude about it.  (In retrospect, I kind of miss waiting tables - I was in great shape, met lots of interesting people and it was very challenging!)

I was in my quiet time one morning and God spoke to me through Colossians 3:23, "Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people."  As soon as I read that verse, I knew I needed to change my attitude.  I needed to be grateful God provided me with a job!  Many people didn't have one.  I found one quickly and it was close to home and it was bringing in good money for us.  I needed to work as if it was the most important job on the earth and I needed to show God that I could be faithful with the small things.  I felt He was telling my heart that if I would humble myself and work hard, He would honor that.

Within a month, I was promoted to the Lead Server, my attitude changed and I began to see a change in the people around me. It still amazes me how a change in attitude can make a job go from a chore to joy in such a short time.  We began to pull together and work as a team and morale went up in the entire restaurant.  It was bittersweet, when just nine months later, I left my waitress job to become the co-host for the Morning Show on New Life 91.9 radio.  God honored my obedience and now I was in a job I had always dreamed of having!  Funny though, as much as I love radio, I still miss waiting tables sometimes!

It's been awhile since all of that happened, but God reminded me this week that He expects me to serve joyfully - no matter what the job is.  (Yes, I was cleaning my bathroom when the thought came to me!) Even if it's a job that is tedious, unglamorous, or even difficult.  When I do it with joy, people notice and my attitude changes from "having to" to "getting to". We are blessed to be able to work with our hands.  Every job counts.

If you are facing a job today that doesn't sound like a lot of fun, ask yourself a few questions:

-What could God be teaching you through this? 

-Who is watching and how can you show them Christ? 

-And finally...Have you thanked God for the opportunity to work with your hands?

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands...then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live..

Philippians 2:14-15
Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you.  Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people.

Luke 16:10
If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones.  But if you are dishonest in little things, you won't be honest with greater responsibilities. 


1 comment:

Brenda Porter said...

Thank u Leslie I really needed this admonition! Thank u for being faithful for Him to post this. I will take this message to heart.

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org