Thursday, March 8, 2012

There, I Fixed It!

Have you ever taken a short cut in fixing something around the house?  I know I have.  The reasons we take these short cuts can be varied:

a) You didn't have the funds to fix it, so made do with what you had

b) You fixed it with what you had because you thought you were super-creative and penny pinching in your approach

c) make it a habit of taking short cuts.

I had to laugh as I looked through the pictures of "quick fixes" on a website today called www.thereifixedit.com as it brought to mind my many days of duct tape and safety pin creations! But then I began to think about this from a spiritual perspective and realized that I was feeling a tiny bit of conviction. I thought about the times in my life when I wanted to do things the quick and easy way and ended up burning myself.

Like when I decided to forgo my devotions with God and instead look up the scriptures on Facebook that my friends posted in their status updates thinking that would tide me over spiritually...

...or when I had to apologize to a friend for something I said or did and instead of facing them decided to write an email...

...or when I hurt someone's feelings and then laughed about it thinking that the humor would make things all better...

...or when I thought I was right, so I forced my opinion on others only to eventually find I was wrong and instead of admitting it to them, I just chalked it up as a personal lesson learned...

...or when I knew a friend needed help when she was sick and so I told her "if you need anything let me know!" but didn't offer to do anything specific...

I suppose you see where I'm going here. I don't tell you these things to make you think I'm a terrible person but to help you see that when we take short cuts (I know I'm not the only one) we wind up making things worse. The pictures of the jury rigged stuff make me laugh out loud but the thought of me jury rigging things spiritually isn't quite so funny.

Thank God He forgives me and shows me a better way! Sure there are times in life we must make do with whatever is available to fix something (materially speaking). But in our walk with Christ, we are assured in 2 Peter 1:3-4 that "by His divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know Him, the one who called us to Himself by means of His marvelous glory and excellence."
 
Today, if you are feeling tempted to take a short cut, to jury rig something in your life spiritually, remember the vast provision He has given you when He gave you His Spirit, His Word and His Truth! You don't have to take short cuts, you don't have to "make do".  I can be lazy sometimes (maybe you can relate) and it can be hard to do the right thing.  So here are some scriptures that may encourage us:
 
Proverbs 12:24 Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave.
 
Proverbs 21:5 Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty.
 
Romans 12:11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.
 
2 Timothy 2:15 Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.
 
God never jury-rigs anything. His work is good, strong and able to withstand the toughest of storms. We just need to trust Him to do the work in us and sometimes through us and be should willing to take responsibility for the work He asks us to do in order to live a life that shouts out "There! HE fixed it"!
 
 

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org