Saturday, March 3, 2012

Well Done!

My daughter, Stephanie attends a Christian university and she shared a quote one of her theology Professors shared with the class the other day.  It was awesome.  It was hard to hear.  And it was true.  It was something to this effect: "There's going to be an awful lot of Christians in heaven with a lot of energy left over."

Ouch.

I wonder how many opportunities God presents to me each day to share truth with others, to serve others or to be the hands and feet of Jesus to this dying world and out of fear of failure, fear of being uncomfortable, fear of rejection, or just feeling too tired or overwhelmed, I decide to go my own way.  My easy way. My comfortable way.

I don't want to be a "Medium Rare" Christian!
This morning as I was reading Matthew 25:14-30, I was struck by the part where the master of the servant says to him, "Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!" How I long to hear those words one day!  "Well done."  Oh, to hear the Master say that to me!  Keeps me going on days when I want to give up, you know?  But honestly, I think I live my life many days more like a "medium rare" Christian.  Someone who chooses the path of least resistance.  Someone who chooses to be comfortable rather than obedient. Some days I have far to go before I am "well done"! (smile)

Do I really give my all for Christ every single day?  These thoughts and more are swirling in my mind and heart today.  Please hear me clearly: I know that salvation is not about works, so that is not what I am saying.  I know God loves me and accepts me on the basis of Christ's righteousness, not my own.  Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." But the very next sentence in verse 10, it goes on to say, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. So, even though my salvation is not about my works,  I have been given a new life in Christ so that I will be equipped to do those good works that I would never be able to do without Him on my own. What a privilege!

Am I wholeheartedly embracing this privilege?

Am I allowing His passions to become mine?  

Am I becoming more like Him each day? 

Am I allowing Him to transform my heart so that He gets glory in my life?  

Am I serving people out of an overflow of the relationship I have with Him?  

I can allow God to use me as a vessel for His glory in this life or I can go my own way.  My prayer is that as I focus on my relationship with Him, He will change my heart so thoroughly that His passions become mine and His ways become naturally mine.  One thing is for sure - when He uses me, I have a joy and a thrill that nothing can compare to in this life!  And when I decline an invitation that I know is from Him to be used for His purposes, I get a deep sadness in my heart - almost a grieving - as I realize He has so much more for me.

I believe that the talents and gifts He has given to me will be wasted if I don't trust Him to use them for His glory as often as He presents an opportunity in this life.  I don't want to have a lot of energy left over when I face Him at the end of my life!  He will provide all of the energy, all of the time, all of the resources and all of the passion I need to fulfill His purposes through me.  And at the end of my life on this earth, I deeply desire to hear those precious words as He tells me, "Well-done, good and faithful servant!". 

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org