Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Circle in the Sand

I did it again.  A quick glance over my devotional book and a 30-second prayer and then I began to focus on something else to prepare for my day.  It all seemed so rushed.  I knew I needed more of Jesus, but for the past couple of weeks or so, I found myself finding every excuse to hurry through my Bible reading and prayer time.  I began to think about the days (long ago) when I would spend hours with Jesus every morning.  I'd get up early just to hear from Him.  It was like a Honeymoon!  But now it seemed like a routine, not an event.  How did I allow this to happen?  I knew in my heart I loved Him deeply - even desperately - so why did it seem I was finding other things, more "important" things to do with my time?

I wondered if He noticed.

Of course He noticed.  But instead of being angry with me and threatening to leave me, I found God to be incredibly faithful - and sweet.  You know, in 2 Timothy 2:13, Paul reminds us that "God is faithful even when we are not."  Whew, it's a good thing!  If this relationship depended on me, we'd be in big trouble.  But it doesn't depend on me - it depends on Him.  Nothing can separate me from the love of Christ.  Not even my own stupidity! (smile)

Listen to how He got my attention yesterday morning....

For a couple of days in a row, I had been waking up, singing the chorus of a song from 1988.  I had not heard this song in probably twenty years or so and if I were honest, I'd admit it wasn't even a very good song, in my opinion.  I found it odd that I would be singing it to myself a few days in a row, but dismissed it - until the third day.  As I brushed my teeth, I was humming this song in my head - again - and it crossed my mind that perhaps God was using this song to get my attention?  I mean, I had not even heard it in over twenty years!  Where was it coming from?

So I looked up the lyrics to the words from the song called "Circle in the Sand" by Belinda Carlisle.  Here's what I found:

Sundown all around
Walking through the summer's end
Waves crash, don't look back
I won't walk away again

Oh, anywhere you go,
We are bound together
I begin where you end
Some things are forever!

Circle in the sand
'Round and 'round
Never ending love is what we've found
And you complete the heart of me
Our love is all we need
Circle in the sand

Cold wind, tides move in
Shivers in the salty air
Day breaks, my heart aches
I will wait for you right here.

Oh, when you look for me
Can you see forever?
I begin where you end
We belong together

Circle in the sand
'Round and 'round
Rising of the moon as the sun goes down
And you complete the heart of me
Our love is all we need
Circle in the sand

Can you hear me?
Can you hear me calling?

I took out the word "baby" (it was laced throughout the song) because it was throwing me off (haha) and theologically, I'm not so sure about the "I won't walk away again" but I do believe He sometimes pulls away to allow us to see our desperate need for Him when we are not pursuing Him like we should (guilty as charged!).

I read yesterday's devotional from Sarah Young's Jesus Calling right after I listened to this song...and felt a bit overwhelmed by His grace. He's so sweet.  The part that really got me was this: "I know precisely what you need to draw nearer to Me....Accept every event as My hand-tailored provision for your needs."

Yes, I believe this was God's hand-tailored provision for my needs.  He loves me in spite of myself.  That's a miracle in itself.  And it's His sweet kindness that has led me to repentance (Romans 2:4).  I heard Him loud and clear!

Have you had a sweet experience with God lately?  If so, please share it.  I'd love to celebrate with you!

Blessings,


6 comments:

Samantha said...

Sounds like you have been listening to my prayers lately. So encouraged ny you. Even today when I finished my quiet time I didn't even say "amen" and have continued my conversation with God. Trying to coordinate my getting up and having my time with the Lord as well here lately. Thanks for the encouragement!

Leslie Nease said...

Thank you for your encouragement this morning, Samantha! Praying you and I will both get back into the groove soon! :)

thebycefamily@gmail.com said...

Tuesday morning at 11:30, I would not have even been on the road but I had gotten a call from "Curves" where they were giving me a FREE month!
I had just left from my first work out.
Of course I was listening to His Radio.
It was Prayer Time. I had not called in a Prayer Request but there was the DJ Praying for me and my Family. Oh What A Blessing!!!!! Oh Yea!! GOD WAS GIVING ME A BIG OLD BEAR HUG!!!! He is sooooo Awesome!!!
Linda Byce
www.bycefamily.weebly.com

Leslie Nease said...

Linda that is so cool!! I love how God works in our lives. He always knows just what we need. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautifully shared! Thank you Leslie! JWalsh

Leslie Nease said...

((hugs) thank you Jessica!!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org