Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spiritual Adrenaline

Have you ever had one of those dreams where you're trying to run fast but your legs are really heavy?  You feel like you're running as hard as you can - but you're going absolutely nowhere.  Then, you wake up and realize "Whew, it was just a dream!".  That's how I describe to people what it was like in the challenges on Survivor China.  Only it wasn't a dream!  It was an overwhelming reality.

We were so exhausted, so dehydrated, so hungry that when we competed in the physical challenges, it was like we were working against gravity times infinity!  During the first immunity challenge I remembered thinking "I'm going on pure adrenaline 'cause I have absolutely nothing to give!"  It was the hardest physical thing I've ever done.

Spiritually speaking, I go through times like that, too.  It's those times when just opening the Bible seems like the greatest effort in the world  - when praying seems impossible.  I feel like I cannot press on sometimes - it's just like I'm constantly running uphill, dragging more and more weight with every step. 

Usually, if I trace it back, I find that my times of spiritual difficulties can be attributed to the same kind of things that contributed to my physical condition on Survivor during challenges: Lack of food, lack of water, exhaustion....but it is more like lack of God's word (my spiritual food), lack of trusting His Spirit's leading (living water), and working too hard to impress Him instead of resting in Him (which leads to exhaustion). I get into this situation because of my own lack of discipline and lack of trust in God's power to lead me.  Can you relate?

If you are feeling that your spiritual life is drudgery today, I pray you will be encouraged that we all go through times like this.  God uses these times to help us realize that we cannot do this alone.  We need Him to help us do this!  He alone has the "spiritual adrenaline" we need to press on and grow stronger through the challenges of life.  Without His Spirit leading us, we are going nowhere.

Galatians 5:16 says "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves." 

Instead of succumbing to the temptation to give up and quit, I urge you to press on! It's worth the fight, my friend.

No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead. I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.  Philippians 3:13-14

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org