Here are some fun ideas you can do with your kids to show love and kindness to others this summer:
1. Volunteer at the Humane Society or local animal shelters - children love animals, so give them an opportunity to put their love into action! They can walk, play with, or feed the animals.
2. Volunteer to clean up trash at a community event, county fair, or alongside public roads.
http://militarypenpal.tripod.com/ for a list of addresses and instructions about what to send and how to send it.
4. Collect crazy and fun hats for kids receiving chemotherapy treatments at the local hospital.
5. Help cook and/or serve a meal at a homeless shelter. Check the local yellow pages for homeless shelters and soup kitchens in your area.
6. Do yard work such as mowing lawns, gardening or planting trees for the elderly or disabled people - check with local senior citizen centers or your place of worship for a list of people in need.
7. Visit a Nursing Home - your kids can play games with, read books to, or just talk with the elderly. Your youthful, cheerful kids will be sure to brighten their day, and your kids will learn a lot by talking with the elderly about the past.
8. Make care kits with soap, toothbrushes, shampoo, etc. for the homeless or for military personnel.
9. Work together to write and prepare a puppet show and present it at the local children's hospital.
10. Run or walk in a charity race, making sure to tell your children what they are walking or running for.
11. Collect canned food for local charities in your neighborhood.
12. Bake cookies or brownies and take them to the local fire station and/or police station to thank them for their service to your community.
I'd love to hear your ideas, too!