Thursday, July 12, 2012

Squinting to See Him

In a correspondence with one of my friends last week I wrote "I'm squinting to see the Lord right now - please pray for me."  Have you ever had times like that?  It's like a drought of sorts.

I'm finding as I mature in my faith that these times of drought do come, but that they are often followed up with some very sweet times of refreshment with the Lord.  I'm learning to wait with more patience during my drought because God has been faithful every time to end it eventually.  I get a little antsy sometimes though, honestly!  Well, this morning in my quiet time I feel I finally got some relief.  It was as if the drought ended in my spirit! 

I was reading in Acts chapter one.  When I got to verses 9 & 10, I stopped and couldn't move on.  I read them over and over and over again.  I knew God was trying to show me something, so I prayed He would keep revealing whatever it was He was trying to show me.  The verses were talking about Jesus Christ and His ascension to heaven.  In verse 9 it says "After saying this, He was taken up into a cloud while they were watching and they could no longer see Him."  Then, verse 10..."As they strained to see Him rising into heaven, two white-robed men suddenly stood among them." 

The part I couldn't get past was "...they could no longer see Him.  As they strained to see Him..."  It just kept leaping off the page, directly into my heart.  It was exactly how I have been feeling over the past couple of weeks.  I couldn't see the Lord in my life and I was straining to see Him.  It was almost exactly what I had written to my friend!

My first reaction was "Wow, I'm not the only one!" and then I began to wonder why they couldn't see Him and what it was that was in the way that made it so hard for them to keep their eyes on Him.  Backing up to the beginning of verse 9, it said He was taken up into a cloud.  The clouds were in the way of their view of Him.  I thought those clouds could represent the sickness, lethargy, monotony and frustration I've felt over the past couple of weeks.  But just because the clouds were there, did that mean Jesus wasn't?  No.  It just meant they were in the way, deterring their view of Him.  That's when their faith had to kick in.  That's when my faith needed to kick in!

So today, I'm not squinting to see Him in my life and I'm not straining to see Him either.  I'm just trusting that He is there, no matter what clouds my view of Him in life.  He said "I will never leave you, I will never forsake you."  When Jesus says it, He means it.  He doesn't lie.  So, what will my response be?  Do I believe Him or not?

Yes, the drought is over for now.  I'm feeling times of refreshment in my spirit again!  I'm so grateful for times like this.  I think I need to remember to be thankful for times of drought, too, though because those are the times when I can really build my faith muscles by learning to trust Him, even when the cloudy situations of life are in the way of my view.

James 1:2-4  Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.  For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.

4 comments:

John Pardue said...

Amen! Good word and I'm rejoicing with you! We all need this message revealed to us at some point in our walk.

Leslie Nease said...

Thanks John! :)

becomingapparent said...

Great post, Leslie. Thanks for sharing. I've felt the same way, but God always reminds me of Romans 8: 35-39:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Thanks for your encouragement, today.

Brent Rinehart

Leslie Nease said...

Thank you Brent - good stuff!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org