Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Take a Hike!

My husband's favorite thing to do in the world is take long hikes in the mountains.  I enjoy it, too, but mostly because I like seeing him in his glory.  I mean, I like hiking but I'm just not as good at it as he is.  But watching him do what he loves is such a joy for me. Yesterday we had the opportunity to go on about a four mile hike up the difficult trails of Crowder's Mountain again.  It's such a great time to clear the head and get fresh air and spend time with the greatest man on earth all at the same time. (smile)

Yesterday as we were hiking, I realized I don't get to see much around me at all.  I'm basically just watching the path right in front of me, following in the steady steps of my man in front of me because it's so rocky that if you try to look up and around at the sights, you roll your ankle or trip.  If we wanted to soak in the view, we had to stop and rest.  It was kind of nice, though.  Especially at the top...wow...it was gorgeous! 

I love how my husband goes right before me, making sure the path is sturdy, grabbing my hand and helping me at the difficult passes.  He's so sweet to do that because I know he could go faster and work harder if I were not with him but he prefers to have me there, even though it seems to slow him down a bit.  He must love me a lot.

With each careful step, I realized that my hike was similar to how I need to walk through life.  Not looking too far ahead, but carefully taking life one day at a time.  Otherwise, I get tripped up. I need to stop and soak in the view every now and then with my best friend at my side.  In life, I need to do this, too.  Taking time to slow down and soak in the view can be hard when you are a busy woman with a ton of stuff on the calendar!  I need to walk through life steady and slow, careful and following in the footsteps of my husband, the leader God has graciously given me to help guide me.  He's the one who is there to encourage me when I feel like I cannot go another step, he's there to help me when the path gets rocky and dangerous by taking my hand and helping me stay safe.

I've heard it said that it's not about the destination as much as it is the journey, and I must agree.  During my experiences yesterday, my favorite part was not soaking in the breathtaking view at the top (thought it was beautiful), but it was more about seeing selflessness, support and encouragement in the actions of my husband toward me.  The beauty of yesterday was in realizing how incredibly blessed I am to have such an amazing man to walk this journey with each day and that together, we can conquer any mountain.




 


1 comment:

Kate Wood said...

Leslie, the whole time I was reading your blog, I was thinking of the Point of Grace song, "Steady On." After reading, I had to listen to the song because I love playing a song during devotion time. It's a music thang. In case you want to listen to it yourself, here is a link to the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDPlvjy7MTA

If you want to read the lyrics, you can go here: http://artists.letssingit.com/point-of-grace-lyrics-steady-on-z9npj9n

I got up and dressed to go to work and was ready to head out when my mom reminded me that her office is closed today, so I don't have to go in. Guess I need to slow down, too. Okay. Back to bed.
~Kate Wood

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org