Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I Found My "Want To"!

I think Rob knew what he was doing when he asked me to be a team leader for his "Rob's Big Loser" program with His Radio. I was so excited to help lead some people into a healthier lifestyle! He knows I love to encourage people and that I used to have a big passion for fitness and health.  It was a great fit. This program helps people lose weight and teaches them how to live a healthy lifestyle.

On Monday night, we had the Kick-off for the event and I met my teammates for the first time. One of our members didn't get to come, so I decided to be a good example and go through the whole evaluation with everyone.  They took our weight and body fat, hip to waist ratio, blood pressure, had us do a stretch test and also a minute-timed push up and crunches test.  I have to say I had the highest numbers on the push up test (yay!) and I did 63 crunches in 1 minute! But I also had high numbers on all the other tests as well - including the blood pressure, weight and body fat. I realized quickly that my purpose for being a team leader was not just to encourage those on my team - but to also open my eyes to my own issues. I have some work to do, to say the least.

As I drove home from the kick-off, I began to cry. Why had I let it come to this? Once I got home, I went straight to my husband and told him I was sorry.  I was sorry I hadn't been taking care of myself. I absolutely love what we have! Such a great man, such a great husband and we have such a wonderful family. I love them so much. I have so much to be thankful for! And I have so many reasons to take care of myself.

I have to confess that I have (many times) said that I was going to begin my journey back to fitness and even posted some blogs about it with excited efforts to do it initially. But nothing has stuck.  I lost my "want to" in my fitness journey.  I taught fitness for 18 years, was a personal trainer and nutrition consultant and even wrote a book about fitness in 2004.  When I quit teaching fitness a year and a half ago, I quit fitness. I suppose you could say that my get up and go got up and went! I was so burned out from over-working my body for so many years. Some weeks I would teach 13 classes! It was just crazy. Honestly, once I stopped instructing, I couldn't find the desire to work out and my weight, blood pressure and body fat have slowly crept up.

Today, I'm coming to terms with my new reality. I've lived in denial for awhile. I suppose I'm comfortable with my body and I don't feel like it's out of hand - but honestly, it's getting there. It's not about being "fat", but more about being unhealthy.  My blood pressure was so high that the guy taking it had to re-take it and told me to relax. I could tell he was a bit concerned. He took it again and it was 158/96.  I used to have 110/60.  This is what got me motivated, not my desire to be "thin" again. I am ready to lose, but not so I can fit into a size 6 again. It's so I can live a healthy and longer life with the greatest gift God has ever given me - my family.

If you are struggling, I get it.  I know what it's like to not have a "want to".  But I think it's more of a "have to" when it comes to being healthy. I tell my kids all the time that sometimes you have to do things you don't necessarily want to do in life because if you don't, there are consequences. Now I'm taking my own advice.

My team is called Women of Mass Reduction and we are ready to fight! (haha - love the name) I'm excited about this 12-week journey and will keep you posted on my own results as we go.  So far, it's only been a day and a half but I can tell something has clicked in my heart and I'm ready to make the sacrifices and decisions that need to be made in order for me to be healthier in 2013.

To read about the journeys of some of the others who are taking this challenge, go to www.robsbiglosers.com.  Most everyone is blogging (including me) and you can encourage us by leaving comments on the entries and see how everyone's doing along the way!

1 comment:

teri-free2bme said...

Great post! I very much relate Leslie, but don't be so hard on yourself. You are beautiful inside and out and you're at the age where women have changes going on in their bodies. For me, over the past 4 years I gained 40 pounds; it crept on starting at age 44- I'm 48 now. At the end of this last summer, I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize myself; I was embarrassed. I'm an emotional eater, so combined with pre-menopause changes in hormones, etc., this combination ballooned me up. With God's help through two apps on my iPhone, I started making changes on Sept. 4th, 2012 and have lost 23 of my 40 pound weight gain... praise Jesus!

I'm excited for you to have found your "want to" (btw, love Lysa Turkhurst, "Made to Crave"!). I look forward to your victory in 2013 to a healthier Leslie Nease.

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org