Thursday, May 16, 2013

Drastic Decisions

You cannot escape the news about Angelina Jolie's recent decision to have a double mastectomy because of test results that showed she has the same gene her mother had that gives her an 85% higher risk of developing breast cancer and a 50% higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. There are a ton of responses all over the internet - both supporting of her and some, well, not-so-much. Everyone seems to have an opinion!

Personally, it just got me thinking. A few years ago, I had the same test done after learning my mother had ovarian cancer in her 30's. My mother's cancer was caught early - she was having a hysterectomy for something else when they removed the ovary and found it was in the beginning phases of cancer. I'm thankful they caught it early - this disease can be vicious. And it can be inherited, too. That's why I had the test done.

My results were negative for the gene, but if they had been positive, what would I have done? I honestly don't know. It's so hard to know what one would do in a situation unless they are actually in the middle of it. I remember saying to my friend, who had cancer, that I didn't know how she was able to stay so strong. She simply said, "I have no choice." It made me realize that when the Bible tell us that God gives us grace to go through what we must go through, He means it.  And it also made me realize that He doesn't give us grace when we just imagine going through it.

I'm not going to judge Angelina because I've never walked in her shoes. I didn't witness my mother slowly pass away from ovarian cancer like she did.  I have not been through the things she has been through, so how could I know if what she did was over-kill or necessary?  I just know that my heart breaks as I realized that in order to avoid the possibility of a drastic diagnosis, she had to take drastic measures. And she did it for her family.

I'm not sure what decision you are faced with today, but I know you probably have at least one big decision to make and it could be a decision that will forever change your life. And I know that God's grace will be sufficient to get you through it. He will give you wisdom to know what is best for you. He will give you discernment to know which way to go.  You just have to ask.

So we praise God for the glorious grace He has poured out on us who belong to His dear Son. -Ephesians 1:6

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org