Thursday, June 13, 2013

Living the Adventure!

It was always my favorite time of the day. I was in second grade. We would sit cross-legged on the "magic carpet" (a rug in the middle of the floor) and our teacher would have different people come in and read to us. The sound of the crackling library book opening and the way the pages turned always
thrilled my little heart because I knew we were going on an adventure!  I even remember the way those library books smelled - like sweet expectation!

Now I can get the same feeling, but not at story time. Now it's during my quiet times with God. I love the feeling of expectation as I sit and open my Bible, knowing God will meet me there and share not only life changing stories, but truth to help me live my life with purpose and passion. It's the reference manual for my life and it's truly an adventure!

So...why is it that sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated to go on these adventures with God? Tired. Busy. Stressed. Not in the mood. All of these are excuses I've used. And none of them are acceptable. I truly believe the reason it's so hard to get motivated to spend time in God's Word at times is because it's not something the enemy of my soul would want me to do. He knows that is what brings me closer to God. He knows that is what strengthens my heart and gives me hope for my days. No wonder it's so hard sometimes!

If you're human, you have struggles and temptations. And if you have a relationship with God, sometimes that struggle is finding internal motivation to be still before God and allow Him to speak into your life. Maybe you don't want to hear what He has to say?  Or maybe you just don't feel like you have the time?  It makes no sense - because when we do take time to spend alone with God, it's always amazing.

I want to encourage you - if you are struggling in your quiet times with God, don't beat yourself up!  You can be motivated again. It's not a life sentence to stay where you are.  Just ask Him to help you. I truly believe that is a prayer from your heart that God will answer with a resounding "Yes!"  Ask Him to increase your passion for His Word. Ask Him to give you wisdom as you read it. And turn away from any part of your life that pulls you away from Him. It's not worth it!

God wants to speak to us...but we have to be still enough to listen. Praying we all learn to be still, at least a little while, today.

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God..."

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org