Monday, July 22, 2013

First World Problems

It all started when we lost hot water last week for about 24 hours. I realized quickly how much we rely on our hot water heater when it stopped working! Taking a bath became a huge ordeal as I had to boil water and then I ended up bathing in an inch of water. I was amazed at how much I let it get to me. Egads!

First world problems.

Later, a friend told me about how they lost power for over 24 hours. He was saying the same thing - they were really dependent on power and without it they just didn't know what to do with themselves! No coffee!  No air conditioning!  No lights!

First world problems.

Can you relate? With all of the storms lately, have you had to adjust your lifestyle for a few hours? It can be very unsettling and hugely inconvenient, can't it?

First world problems.

Is it okay to find discomfort and to vent that every now and then when we don't have access to things we are "used to"?  Sure, I suppose. But perspective will knock the complaining right out of me every time. I remember a few years back when I took a mission trip to Bolivia. I was awed by how the local children huddled around marbles in a dusty road and kept themselves busy playing with each other for hours.  There wasn't power in many of their homes. They had to boil water for a bath every single day. The inconveniences we find most annoying are a way of life for these people. And honestly...they were so happy. Happier than most Americans. Happier than me at times. It was a huge wake up call for me.

How ridiculous we must look to some people when we complain about petty things. Philippians 2:14 tells us, "In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing, so that no one can speak a word of blame against you. You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of God in a dark world full of crooked and perverse people. Let your lives shine brightly before them." What an important thing to remember. 

Here are some "first world problems" that might give you a good chuckle...and might help you find some perspective in the process:






Philippians 4:11-13 - I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org