Thursday, September 5, 2013

We Are What We Post


Do you realize that what you post on the Internet is a direct reflection to the world around you of who you are and what you stand for in life? Whether it is pictures, articles, tweets or status updates, people are forming an impression about you by what you post. It’s easy to mess up – we all have at some point! But how do we evaluate what we are posting BEFORE it becomes a mess?

I think what we need is a simple checklist of questions we need to ask ourselves before posting anything on the Internet, whether it be a “selfie”, a status update or anything else for that matter.

Here are some questions we could ask ourselves:

1.     Will posting this picture/status/article encourage, inspire or bring hope to others?
2.     If my current or future potential employers see this, will it leave an impression I want to leave with them? (Believe me, they look!)
3.     If my future (or current) in-laws see this, will it leave an impression I want to leave with them?
4.     Is this something I would post with my mother, father, child or spouse sitting beside me, watching over my shoulder? What about my pastor?
5.     Will what I’m posting be something that my children or future children would be comfortable with? (Keep in mind – once it’s out there, there is no taking it back)
6.     Will this photo/article/status hurt someone else or make him or her look bad?
7.     Will this photo/article/status cause someone else to stumble in his or her walk with the Lord?
8.     Will I have to apologize to anyone for posting this?
9.     Is this post going to cause drama or create an argument?

Bottom line, if you are a believer in Christ: You represent Him. Will what you are posting represent Him well?

The Internet is like a new animal that we are all trying to learn how to tame.  We all have ideas of how that should be done. There is so much to learn about the psychological and even spiritual implications of what we put out there for all to see. In the meantime, a little discernment, education and common sense can go a long way.

(NOTE - a reader pointed out that I initially wrote, "Does it offend anyone?" in there and that sometimes as believers, speaking truth can offend others. I agree, but I didn't mean it in that way. I meant something that might offend someone who is trying to keep their mind pure. I deleted the question, just so it would not be a misunderstanding or cause unnecessary controversy. I suppose another point could be made that if you post something and someone sees how it could be misleading, you should be willing to make changes, if necessary.)

Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.”

Ephesians 4:29 “Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.”


No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org