Saturday, January 11, 2014

Stepping Away to Focus

Every year around Christmas time, my husband and I decide to start praying for a single word from
God to sort of "theme" our coming year. We've been doing this for a very long time. It's interesting how as we look back on the year, we can see how that one word was woven through the things we went through, grew through and experienced (good and bad)! This year our word is FOCUS.

I knew right away and Rod and I were in agreement that focus was the word for 2014. God has been putting it on my heart for quite awhile. I think as a busy wife and mother, speaker, writer, radio morning show personality and all the other stuff I try to squeeze in to my already busy life, I knew God was telling me to slow down. That would take focus.

When I began to pray after we decided on the word, I knew that some things had to go in my life. I couldn't imagine giving up anything though! I love every single thing that I do and I feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Nothing feels awkward or like it doesn't fit, nothing feels wrong or disobedient. But I'm exhausted and I'm more than a little stressed at times. So obviously, something had to go.

After much prayer and talking with my husband, we have decided that I am going to give up my speaking ministry indefinitely.  As much as I love it and as much as I want to continue, my heart knows it's just not the right time for it. I love my position at His Radio and feel God has placed me there for a purpose. I know I'm not done there yet. Traveling on the weekends and the time it takes to prepare for events really takes a lot out of me and trying to balance the two is just exhausting. I don't feel this will be a forever decision, but I do feel it is a right decision for the time being.

I do have a couple of events that I've already committed to for this year that I will definitely be fulfilling. But as of January 1, I will not be accepting anymore speaking engagements. I want to protect my time with my family on the weekends, I want to focus more on doing my radio show with excellence and intention and I want to grow closer to God in this process. All of those things will take time - something I seem to have very little of as I try to juggle all of my roles in life! 

If you are looking for a speaker for your event, may I recommend a few? These are women who I know personally and adore. They are kindred spirits and have powerful and important messages for women that I know you will enjoy:

Renee Swope (www.reneeswope.com)
Lisa Whittle (www.lisawhittle.com)
Gwen Smith (www.gwensmith.net)
Carol Davis or Luann Prater (www.encouragementcafe.com)

You could also visit www.christianspeakers4you.com and find some great speakers. The ladies who run that site are wonderful and will help you find just the right person for you!

Blessings to you as you begin 2014!  I'm excited to see how God uses this time in my life to teach me even more about not only myself but Him and His plan for my life and my family's life. It's going to be a great year!

No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org