Thursday, February 19, 2015

A Sinking Ship

We watched the movie Titanic the other night for the first time in years.  It always makes me cry, never fails.  I remember when the movie first came out many years ago that I watched it several times and I think there was this part of me that hoped that maybe...just maybe...it would end better if I watched it again.  I know that sounds crazy, but a girl can dream, right?

While watching the movie this time, something else struck me.  (I've given up hope for a new ending at this point!) I was watching as the boat was sinking and so many of the people on the sinking ship were so clueless as to what was really going on.  They were listening to the musicians, who kept playing so everyone would stay calm.  They would look around them and everything looked so normal, so they just didn't take it seriously.  Many of them didn't even put on life-vests.  The rich people were still more concerned about being separated from the poor people.  The rescue boats were not filled to capacity.  Nobody seemed to understand that the boat was truly going to sink and they didn't have much time!  It was dire.  Nobody seemed to notice or believe that the boat was actually slowly filling up with water underneath of them.  Until it was too late.

The Bible clearly tells us what signs to look for in the last days.  I keep hearing people say, "Things have always been like this.  It's not any different than it's ever been."  Maybe that's true.  But when I hear this, I immediately recall the scripture in 2 Peter 3:3-4:
Most importantly, I want to remind you that in the last days scoffers will come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. They will say, "What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again? From before the times of our ancestors, everything has remained the same since the world was first created."
If you look around, you will see that the headlines in today's newspapers are like reading prophecy from the Bible.  Israel is surrounded by her enemies.  Famine.  Earthquakes.  War.  Pestilence.  Persecution. Beheadings. All the while, a talk of unity and peace while our leaders from every country come together to attempt to make a one-world government.  Crazy weather.  Fireballs in the sky.  It's all in the Bible.  And the Bible says when we see these things happening, the time is drawing closer. Friends, our ship is sinking!

The signs were given to us for a reason.  I'm sure that iceberg didn't look quite as daunting from the surface, either.  But it was huge underneath it all and it sank the Titanic within a couple of hours after impact.  Some of the scriptures you can look up for yourself about these prophecies can be found in Matthew 24, Luke 17:20-37, Ezekiel 37-38, Daniel 11-12, 1 Thessalonians 5,  2 Peter 3 and of course, the book of Revelation.

Before you decide to argue eschatology with me (I had to look up the spelling of that word, by the way), please know this:  I'm not an end-times expert and I don't know a lot about details, politics or how it all fits.  I'm just an evangelist at heart - someone who knows the truth about Christ and desires to tell the world about Him.  I'm certainly not one to say that Jesus is coming back on a certain date and I'm not going to predict the end of the world by any means. I'm also not going to argue with you or be offended if you don't agree with me on this, I'm simply sounding the alarm and telling you what I believe to be true, based on the Scriptures.  Of everything I don't know, I do know one thing to be true: we are living on a sinking ship. But Jesus has provided a life-boat for us!

I bet there are many folks who were on the Titanic that wished someone had been honest with them about the dire situation they were in.  I can only assume that many of the lives lost were lost because people were living in denial of the severity of the situation.  God is sounding the alarm, my friend.  Every fulfilled prophecy written in the scriptures has come to pass with 100% accuracy in the past and God's track record is not going to change.  The ones that are still to come will come.

We don't know when, but we do know that God in His mercy gave us signs to look for and they are unmistakeable.  Some folks say we shouldn't get "all wrapped up" in prophecy, but I say that if God put these scriptures in His Word, He wants us to know it.  All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim. 3:16-17)

I know I'm not the only Christian who senses something is going on in this world.  In 1Thessalonians 5:4, Paul tells us "But you aren't in the dark about these things, dear brothers and sisters, and you won't be surprised when the day of the Lord comes like a thief. For you are all children of the light and of the day; we don't belong to darkness and night. So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be clear headed."

Believers:  are you sensing it?  If so, what are you doing to warn others?  Are we like the musicians on the Titanic, playing soothing music that makes others feel like nothing serious is going on or are we helping load up the life-boats to their fullest capacity?

Just like when I watched Titanic, the ending will not change.  It has been written.  The ship is sinking, but it hasn't sunk yet. That means we still have time to warn others and let them know that our God is mighty to save.  

I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid. Remember what I told you: I am going way but I will come back to you again...I have told you these things before they happen so that when they do happen, you will believe.  (John 14:27-29)

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Nice insight, Leslie. I never thought of that movie that way.

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org