Saturday, June 20, 2015

Together

I've never been more proud to live in South Carolina. We just experienced an unspeakable tragedy and yet it seems we are coming together and being of one heart and mind instead of being angry and unforgiving. 

I have thought a lot about the shooting in Charleston over the past few days and I believe that if it had been me that was shot and killed, my one dying prayer would be that God would use the tragedy to bring others to Himself - that He would redeem it and bring good from a senseless and ignorant act of hate and evil. It seems that is just what is happening. I believe God is showing us how big He really is right now.

I know I am a white woman and I have no idea what it's like to be treated with such hatred and disregard by ignorant people because of the color of my skin, but I don't have to be a black woman in order to feel the sting of loss here. These may not have been my brothers and sisters in race, but they were absolutely my brothers and sisters in Christ. How do I know?

They were studying Scriptures - together. 

They were praying - together

They were doing what believers do, even as they were gunned down - they were growing in their faith - together

And they stepped into the presence of the very God they loved so faithfully - together.  

I truly believe they would not want people to react with hate, violence and anger. Their families are a beautiful example of the grace and forgiveness I believe they would all show. They will know we are Christians by our love. (John 13:35)

We are believers. It's what we are called to do - together.

May God be glorified, may hearts be made new and may Christ be Lord over this tragedy, silencing the ignorance of evil intentions.


#RomansEightTwentyEight


No comments:

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org