Monday, November 9, 2015

It's Not About the Cups

I have a confession.

It's not going to be pretty. Fair warning.

I got angry today.

I was angry because I heard that some Christians were said to be angry about red cups at Starbucks not representing Jesus well during the Christmas Season. How ridiculous. Seriously? Personally, I don't know anyone who is angry about this but I digress.

Then I became angry that the media, yet again, seemed to be putting down all Christians because of the reactions of some. My eyes rolled. Why must I always defend myself? I vented. It felt great for a few minutes. After all, I wasn't that kind of Christian. And people needed to know!

Then I noticed everyone on social media was venting, too. I began to get a little irritated by that. Now I was angry that everyone was angry. I was even angry with myself. Why did I fall for the hype?

I opened my Bible because I wanted to know what Jesus thought about cups. (smile)

Here's what I found:

Jesus tells us not to be concerned about the outside of the "cup", but more so with the inside (Matthew 23:25-26).  Once the inside is clean, the outside will eventually become clean, too. He was actually speaking to the religious folks, the ones who thought they had it all together. I came to the conclusion, based on Scripture, that He's probably not concerned about the outside of Starbucks' cups. Jesus had bigger fish to fry. That's all I needed to know.

I paused. I prayed. I realized....

The inside of my cup was not clean. I was nursing anger. Anger doesn't produce the things of God. God was using this cup hilarity to show me my heart. It had nothing to do with Starbucks. It had everything to do with my heart.

So, I asked God to forgive me. I was angry, I was frustrated and I was self-righteous. Again.
(I told you this wouldn't be pretty)

All of this to say:

Thank you, Starbucks. Thank you for the brilliant marketing strategy that has everyone talking. I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. God used it to reveal my heart to me and even though it wasn't pretty, it was important for me to see.

Oh, and thank you for bringing back Carmel Brulee Lattes. They are amazing.

#mycupiscleannow


4 comments:

Steven Pickett said...

You got it girl! We discussed this in youth last night and pretty much cane to the same conclusion as you did! Keep the Faith!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the cups would be more Christmas like if we paid it forward and bought someone a cup of coffee or tea or hot chocolate.- Patty

Christina in NC said...

I love you Lisa! I always love what you have to say! Thank you!

Leslie Nease said...

Thanks Steven! I appreciate you more than you know. :) And Patty, I love it! Great idea. Christina, thank you for your encouragement! So glad the blog helped your perspective!

Got Questions?

GotQuestions?org